HDRP Area and other additional light types are not handled by SECTR_CullingCamera

Goor

Hi,

Just like the title says, the additional light types like the Area light and other types and shapes are not handled by VIS.
Only Spot (cone shaped) and Point lights seem to be handled.

These additional HDRP light types and shapes caused lots of pain to me personally already. We have a stealth game... handling perceived lightness checks for each and every single light configuration is crazy. But adding bounds checks for these in VIS should not be that bad, so I hope I'm not a bringer of bad news ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!

Edited by Goor

On 1/20/2022 at 2:10 PM, Goor said:

Hi,

Just like the title says, the additional light types like the Area light and other types and shapes are not handled by VIS.
Only Spot (cone shaped) and Point lights seem to be handled.

These additional HDRP light types and shapes caused lots of pain to me personally already. We have a stealth game... handling perceived lightness checks for each and every single light configuration is crazy. But adding bounds checks for these in VIS should not be that bad, so I hope I'm not a bringer of bad news ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!

Sorry about that I dont know how I missed this.ย 

I have actually been having this problem with Unity itself.ย 
I have been searching for an answer regarding Unity lights and I have not been able to find out what the issue is.ย 
Even with PW is not in the project at all, Unity is still having an issues with their lights.ย 
I will try to find out what I can!ย 

ย 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sorry about that I dont know how I missed this.ย 

I have actually been having this problem with Unity itself.ย 
I have been searching for an answer regarding Unity lights and I have not been able to find out what the issue is.ย 
Even with PW is not in the project at all, Unity is still having an issues with their lights.ย 
I will try to find out what I can!ย 

ย 

Light configurations left to implement SECTR_CullingCamera bounds checks for are:

• Type: Spot, Shape: Box (this one is projected only perpendicularly unlike Area Rectangle light)
    • Bounds defined by: Range, Size X, Size Y
  • Type: Spot, Shape: Pyramid
    • Bounds defined by: Range, Spot Angle, Aspect Ratio
  • Type; Area, Shape: Rectangle (the most annoying one to handle properly, perhaps together with the Area Disc light)
  • Type: Area, Shape: Tube
    • Bounds defined by: Length, Range
  • Type: Area, Shape: Disc
    • Bounds defined by: Radius, Range

It is possible I missed something. Just trying to hopefully save you some time investigating this๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by Goor

12 hours ago, Goor said:

Light configurations left to implement SECTR_CullingCamera bounds checks for are:

• Type: Spot, Shape: Box (this one is projected only perpendicularly unlike Area Rectangle light)
  • Type: Spot, Shape: Pyramid
    • Bounds defined by: Range, Spot Angle, Aspect Ratio
  • Type; Area, Shape: Rectangle (the most annoying one to handle properly, perhaps together with the Area Disc light)
  • Type: Area, Shape: Tube
    • Bounds defined by: Length, Range
  • Type: Area, Shape: Disc
    • Bounds defined by: Radius, Range

It is possible I missed something. Just trying to hopefully save you some time investigating this๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah I got confirmation that light are just not working in Unity at the moment anymore.ย 
I am trying to find out if Unity has posted anything about lights and what versions are effected.ย 

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yeah I got confirmation that light are just not working in Unity at the moment anymore.ย 
I am trying to find out if Unity has posted anything about lights and what versions are effected.ย 

You mean you guys can't fix it because lights are not working in your project? Or maybe you misunderstood my bug report because of my broken english? ๐Ÿ˜„

Just to make sure we are on the same page. SECTR VIS makes sure it doesn't cull lights that influence visible geometry out. Code can be found in the screenshot below. My problem is that this code only accounts for pre-HDRP lights.

HDRP added 2 new spot light shapes plus a whole new Area light type with three shapes of it's own.

image.thumb.png.5b53055bf495492a6c95b24ccd645903.png

I'm sorry if I misunderstood something and just keep babbling here needlessly ๐Ÿ™‚

Regards,
Stepan

Sorry this was two separate issues I was putting into one.ย 

Unity lights are not working at the moment - trying to figure out what Unity versions are effected by this.ย 

As far as Sectr goes I will need to look into this, and see if the other light types are there and if not if we can add them!ย 

ย 

• Like 1