Regarding Ray tracing

Bharat Sharma

Hello 

There are bunch of errors after enabling ray tracing and nothing renders in the editor terrain disappear. Using 2020.3.26f HDRP.

Untitled.png

Which version of HDRP is that? I know that some versions have this issue if there are particle effects in the scene, though it should be fixed already. Also, I don’t recommend to use raytracing (which is in preview anyways) in 2020.3. Not even I touched it really before 2021.2 where it has become kinda stable, still having its issues though. 

• 5 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 10:53 AM, Adam said:

We had confirmation from Unity that there was a significant regression with HDRP. These should be fixed in version 21.2.9.

@Adam Hello

Is there still issues with ray tracing? Whenever I try to use it with gaia, project crashes. Using unity 2021.3.5. GPU RTX 3070.

@Bharat Sharma I don't know. We tend to focus on one thing, and then move on to the next and Unity is so broad that there are any number of issues with their bleeding edge stuff.

Perhaps @Josh can offer some insights... he has worked with this in HDRP Time Of Day.

@Bharat Sharma From my experience i have had issues with ray tracing in 2020.3 lts but not in 2021.3 lts. 2021.3 - 2022.1. Ray tracing has been pretty stable for me in custom projects, HDRP time of day and Gaia. Of course this takes a few things to get it setup but other than that no issues using it.

Please go through their documentation and making sure you have setup everything correctly - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.0/manual/Ray-Tracing-Getting-Started.html

Josh

On 7/16/2022 at 1:29 AM, Josh said:

@Bharat Sharma From my experience i have had issues with ray tracing in 2020.3 lts but not in 2021.3 lts. 2021.3 - 2022.1. Ray tracing has been pretty stable for me in custom projects, HDRP time of day and Gaia. Of course this takes a few things to get it setup but other than that no issues using it.

Please go through their documentation and making sure you have setup everything correctly - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.0/manual/Ray-Tracing-Getting-Started.html

Josh

I'm don't know, what is the problem here but for me gaia fails to spawn biome every time. If I generate everything then switch to dx12 it works. If I generate it on dx12 it crashes. Even if I generate everything first then turn everything on, I only got 7-8 from 54-56 fps. So yes it's not usable. 

Unity version 2021.3.6. World size 2k. Alpine biome.