Gaia and git...

Disto

Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hello,
I'm just trying to use git with on my project with gaia and i've encountered some issues with the long files names generated for the user sessions.
And if I remember well, same applies when using multiscene setup on multi-tile mode.
Anyone would have faced this issues ?

Can you please elaborate on the issues you get? Do they occur when you pull from the repo or already when checking in?

Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20220118 - 201905/Session Operations/20220118-222429 Clearing - Trees Details GOs SpawnExt Probes, CurrentTerrainOnly, AnySource.asset.meta
Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20220118 - 201905/Session Operations/20220118-210614 Clearing - Trees Details GOs SpawnExt Probes, CurrentTerrainOnly, AnySource.asset.meta
Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20220118 - 201905/Session Operations/20220118-205405 Clearing - Trees Details GOs SpawnExt Probes, CurrentTerrainOnly, AnySource.asset.meta
Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20220118 - 201905/Session Operations/20220118-205019 Clearing - Trees Details GOs SpawnExt Probes, CurrentTerrainOnly, AnySource.asset.meta
fatal: pathspec 'Gaia User Data/Sessions/GS-20220118 - 201905/Session Operations/20220118-222429 Clearing - Trees Details GOs SpawnExt Probes, CurrentTerrainOnly, AnySource.asset.meta' did not match any files

That's strange, the file seems to be here, and it is visible in unity

same here for Gaia source files:
fatal: pathspec 'Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Lighting/Content Resources/Post Processing Profiles/Post Processing - Builtin/Gaia Default Post Processing Profiles/Gaia Default Default Post Processing.asset.meta' did not match any files

Edited by Disto

this is was the issue, when renaming folders for shorter name in unity, this fix the issues (for the sources files).

ex: 
Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Lighting/Content Resources/Post Processing Profiles/Post Processing - Builtin/Gaia Default Post Processing Profiles/
=>
Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Lighting/Content Resources/Post Processing Profiles/Builtin/Gaia Default PPP/

It stay the generated users files (that I guess, we couldn't rename them ?)

Edited by Disto

• Solution

It should be possible to rename those session operation files as well, but it would be a bit tiresome, because Gaia will generate new ones over time.
IIf your structure has more folders before the assets folder you could consider to change that so that the paths become shorter in general. It should also be possible to enable long path names on the git repository:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22575662/filename-too-long-in-git-for-windows

@Peter we have solved git integration with our .gitignore and .gitattributes setup. We should write an article on this and put it in the library as it is a common problem for people who are new to it. @Manny has something that could be used with only a little bit of work.

• Like 2

Thanks for your answers. Yes it could be great to have more info about that subject.
For now i've added session operations folder to the .gitignore.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 12:18 AM, Adam said:

@Peter we have solved git integration with our .gitignore and .gitattributes setup. We should write an article on this and put it in the library as it is a common problem for people who are new to it. @Manny has something that could be used with only a little bit of work.

@Adam I would love to see this .gitignore and .gitattributes setup.  I am having issues that I believe are related.  Cloned projects almost completely work for me other than the Gaia terrains.  Anything published that I can look at?