How to setup default terrain shader (Microsplat) with multi-tiles setup ?

Disto

Hi,

How could we set another custom terrain shader when using multi-tile feature?
Setting up all terrains tile manually is just really time consuming and sometimes not possible at all (terrain settings can't be multiedited, so when you have maybe 32x32 = 1024 tiles, you have to repeat the operation 1024 times....)
When i first started gaia, I remember that the wizard told me a moment if I have a custom terrain shading system or if i wanna use the default one... but i can't retrigger this popup to see, what's happen if I choose to not use the default shader....

Thanks for your help 😉

The microsplat documentation tells you how to set it up for multiterrains... the limitations are Unity based, nothing to do with how you generate your terrain.

Are you familiar with scripting in any capacity? I do not know what microsplat requires for the setup, but I assume it could be scripted so it applies itself to a bunch of terrains in the scene. If Gaia's terrain loading is used, there is also a function call in Gaia that lets you execute a function on each terrain - so Gaia will do the loading of the terrain call the function and do the unloading for you.

EDIT: Forgot to name the thing: You can use the static function GaiaUtils.CallFunctionOnDynamicLoadedTerrains for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes for sure, i've also thinked about a little script for automisate the whole process. Thanks for your tips, is the function is available on each version of gaia ?

@Peter I also have not tried this function call, however a question arises for me: Does this function also save the scene when its unloaded? More over, will added component information on the terrain object in the terrain scene be saved?

Edited by Asset Glue
typo / more information

On 1/23/2022 at 6:59 PM, Disto said:

Thanks for your tips, is the function is available on each version of gaia ?

@Disto No, only in the Pro version - that is the one with terrain loading though, so that is the only version where that function would do anything. If you use a non-pro version you can simply loop over all the terrains in the scene by iterating over Terrain.activeTerrains.

1 hour ago, Asset Glue said:

Does this function also save the scene when its unloaded?

@Asset Glue It has a parameter that controls whether the scene will be set "dirty" in the process - if this is set to true, the changes will be saved while the scenes are being unloaded again.

• Like 1