Set tree layer?

idlewire
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Do I have to convert trees to game objects before I can set them to a layer? It seems they are set to blank, and if I change my camera to exclude any layer, I lose my trees. Thanks!

• Solution

Make sure to have "Preserve Tree Prototype Layers" active in the terrain inspector:
image.png

With this setting the trees should stay on the layer the original prefab is on. If it is off, the trees will inherit the layer from the terrain game object. Note that when you enable / disable certain layers on the camera for rendering, you must have the terrain layer active for the trees to show up to begin with. E.g. if terrain is on layer A and tree is on layer B, it is not possible to hide layer A and have the tree still visible, because hiding the terrain this way will also stop the tree rendering altogether.
If you only want to render the trees without the terrain, you can uncheck the "Draw" checkbox in the terrain inspector, that will still render the trees and terrain details then.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, Peter said:

Make sure to have "Preserve Tree Prototype Layers" active in the terrain inspector:

With this setting the trees should stay on the layer the original prefab is on. If it is off, the trees will inherit the layer from the terrain game object. Note that when you enable / disable certain layers on the camera for rendering, you must have the terrain layer active for the trees to show up to begin with. E.g. if terrain is on layer A and tree is on layer B, it is not possible to hide layer A and have the tree still visible, because hiding the terrain this way will also stop the tree rendering altogether.
If you only want to render the trees without the terrain, you can uncheck the "Draw" checkbox in the terrain inspector, that will still render the trees and terrain details then.

That did the trick! Thanks so much!