Weird Pixelated textures on terrain

rotem adler
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

🤔I noticed two things in the video: At the beginning, the grass texture above the cave seems to "jump" a bit, when you are zoomed in it shows a different pattern than when zoomed out:
image.png
image.png

At the end, there is something suspicious visible as well, what is this object here? It looks like there is something laid over the terrain?image.png

Could it be that you have 2 terrains lying on top of each other? Or maybe a tool that generates meshes for tunnels, etc? Because for me it looks like the pixelated areas stem from two different terrains being in the same position, and some polygons from the lower terrain are clipping through to the higher terrain.

• Like 1

Hey dear Peter, I've just figured it had been caused by "Digger" tool asset, and it seems like I've to managed to solve it for now 🙏

On another note; how can I make that higher little pool on the cliff ? Since the water height is being set once in the "Gaia Water" game object.

I know I've asked this on another topic; but haven't got an answer to this specific part of the question yet, and I highly value your seniority 😊

f_HQIZkumjbvezWXgoiE3L61KrON0n5Bs7.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

🤔I noticed two things in the video: At the beginning, the grass texture above the cave seems to "jump" a bit, when you are zoomed in it shows a different pattern than when zoomed out:
image.png
image.png

At the end, there is something suspicious visible as well, what is this object here? It looks like there is something laid over the terrain?image.png

Could it be that you have 2 terrains lying on top of each other? Or maybe a tool that generates meshes for tunnels, etc? Because for me it looks like the pixelated areas stem from two different terrains being in the same position, and some polygons from the lower terrain are clipping through to the higher terrain.

Go into your Digger GO and Re-Sync Digger with Terrains and all or most of that will go away

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotem adler said:

Hey dear Peter, I've just figured it had been caused by "Digger" tool asset, and it seems like I've to managed to solve it for now 🙏

On another note; how can I make that higher little pool on the cliff ? Since the water height is being set once in the "Gaia Water" game object.

I know I've asked this on another topic; but haven't got an answer to this specific part of the question yet, and I highly value your seniority 😊

f_HQIZkumjbvezWXgoiE3L61KrON0n5Bs7.png

You could raise the edges of the pool up and raise the bottom of the pool up slightly. 
For the water you could potentially use GeNa Pro for the water up there as well just note depending on how deep that water is you will need to add some post processing for under the water. 

The water could be a GeNa Pro river just increase the river width to match the pool area. 

• Like 1

• Solution
15 hours ago, rotem adler said:

This is unfortunately not that easy, the water system in Gaia was originally designed to just do the ocean and not individual bodies of water at different levels. What you can do relatively easy though is to copy the material setup from the sea to additional materials which you then assign to a plane to get a 2nd sea level.
This will display the water in the scene, but it would not give any underwater effects when entering the lake. To get the latter going one would need to extend the water FX system to be able to handle multiple water levels and restricted areas of water only as well.

To get the 2nd water plane, you can do the following:

1. Create two new materials somewhere in the project, call them "Lake Water" and "Lake Water Under"
2. Select the "Lake Water" material and assign the PWS\PW_Water Shader to it.

image.png

3. Select the "Lake Water Under" material and assign the PWS\PW_Water_Under Shader to it. This one is tricky because it is a hidden shader, you would need to switch the inspector tab to debug mode to be able to select it:

image.png

4. Create a new empty plane object in the scene view:

image.png

5. Adjust Scale / Position of the plane so that it becomes your lake water surface:

image.png

6. Assign the both the lake water and the and the lake water under material to the plane:

image.png

7. Select the original Gaia water surface in the scene. Here you will find two water materials on the water surface as well, both with the same shaders as your lake.

image.png

Select the material on the water surface by doublec clicking on it. Copy and paste the material settings from this water surface over to the materials on the lake. You can click the small 3 dots in the material inspector to copy material properties. If both materials use the same shader, you can copy and paste the settings between the two materials this way:
image.png

On the lake material:

image.png

Do the same with the "Under" material. Your lake should now look the same as the sea water:

image.png

Now that you got working settings on the material, you could also tune the lake material and e.g. make it less transparent, give it a different color or different normal map textures. The copying of the settings from the Gaia water is mainly to assure you got one working state of settings to begin with.

As mentioned the underwater FX will not work for this lake, to get them working one would need to extend the underwater detection of Gaia so that it could handle a 2nd sea level but only in a restricted area of the map (you would not want the effects to kick in when you wander down the mountain on the side and "go below the sea level" of the lake.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1