Open World

MaxKMadiath

Hi When i try to create a bigger Map means 10km by 10km i am getting attached error and i have selected 1024  size and tiles to 10X10.

There is a error so i can load or play only 4 terrain.

Or how i can do tiling at the time of build or terrain is populated

I want to know i want to see full map after texture so i can use Gaia to spawn trees grass objects etc. Do u have any video tutorial for bigger world.

How i can set player point as starting point.

gaia Pro 2.jpg

Gaia pro.jpg

Edited by MaxKMadiath

8 hours ago, MaxKMadiath said:

Hi When i try to create a bigger Map means 10km by 10km i am getting attached error and i have selected 1024  size and tiles to 10X10.

Did this happen on terrain creation? Or during the texture spawning?

There is a error so i can load or play only 4 terrain.

Is there an actual error message in the console when it tries to load in a new terrain, or does it just display the 4 terrains in the middle by default? It is normal for terrain loading that Gaia will only display some terrains at the center of the world per default, but there are multiple ways to change that. You can find more information about this in this article (see the section on "Controlling Terrain Loading during Design Time")
https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/library/tools/gaia-pro-2021/creating_runtime/terrain-loading-streaming-in-gaia-pro-gaia-pro-2021-r64/

Or how i can do tiling at the time of build or terrain is populated

Do you mean cutting up the terrain into smaller pieces? That is currently not possible, but should also not be required as you can create the terrain tiles at the final size already - the stamper and spawner tools will work across multiple terrain tiles & with terrain loading being enabled.

I want to know i want to see full map after texture so i can use Gaia to spawn trees grass objects etc. Do u have any video tutorial for bigger world.

You can see the full map by going to Gaia Runtime > Terrain Loader Manager > Terrains and select the Load All Terrains button. Please note that if you have a large world and everything is fully populated with trees, objects, etc. this can slow down your editor a lot and / or crash your editor.
You would not need to load in all terrains to run the texture spawner across the entire world - you can use the "Spawn world" button for that on the spawner. ("Spawn local" will spawn only at the current position / range of the spawner, "Spawn World" will do the entire scene.) If you are using terrain loading, Gaia will automatically load in and out the terrain scenes to perform the spawn.
We currently do not have a video tutorial for terrain loading, but the article I linked you has a lot of information about the setup and working with it.

How i can set player point as starting point.

Move the player game object to the position where you want it to be when the scene starts. You can usually find the player object under the "Gaia Runtime" > "Gaia Player" and then it depends a bit which player type you selected, if you have the fly cam, the player game object is called "FlyCam" etc.

Did this happen on terrain creation? Or during the texture spawning?

It happens at texture spawning. I can see only 4 terrains in hierarchy (G1).

Is there an actual error message in the console when it tries to load in a new terrain, or does it just display the 4 terrains in the middle by default? It is normal for terrain loading that Gaia will only display some terrains at the center of the world per default, but there are multiple ways to change that. You can find more information about this in this article (see the section on "Controlling Terrain Loading during Design Time")

When i try to load game then lso its not showing full terrain. Today i tried in latest 2021.2.8 unity as well and its same. WHen i add the scene it will add only 4 terrain.

g1.jpg

It is normal that you only see the center terrains after the initial world creation - what does happen when you try out all the different methods on design time terrain loading from the article I linked you? For example what happens if you increase this number to e.g. 10000 in the scene view panel?
image.png

TY for the article - explained quite a few of my issues!

[Had similar problems so piggy-backing off of this thread..]

I'm having pretty regular crashes working with my open world setup. What are the best practices for working with decently large open world projects? I've got a 6.66 sq km (setup as 13 512 meters sq) for a total of 169 terrains. Still doing terrain editing so haven't even started populating things yet, but whenever I've done some object Spawner tests I always get editor crashes.

1) Would it make more sense to work with fewer 1024m sq terrains rather than the way I have things setup now with many more 512m sq terrains? (ie 36 1024 terrains vs 169 512 terrains.. math isn't exactly even but close enough 🙂 )

2) Should I be doing scene creation for the terrains for my project? I'm currently not because I didn't understand the Loader Manager (had the same issue has the OP.. wasn't seeing everything and figured I had broken something), but I have a better grasp of how the Loader works now. Are my crashes because I'm not using scenes?

3) From the article.. "Using terrain loading adds a lot of complexity to your game - your game code will need to be able to handle it if parts of the world (& the objects on it) are being unloaded / loaded as the player moves through the world". Do you guys have any examples of working with this?

Apologies in advance for the moderate wall of text 😄

Try looking in the Terrain Loader Manager as well. There is a setting that says "Cache Memory Threshold" If the "Memory Allocated" is angry red, then ensure you have the resources to load more than 4 terrains and increase the cache.  If this is something you need for editing, I hope that this helps. The other settings here will help you edit very large worlds as well.

cheers!

TerrainTexturing.png.998fb4b733e619305710dbc55a3b93d1.png

@DrMeatball I am using multiple 512 and smaller terrains, maxed out in settings, for other reasons. Sure looks good on a 4k video 😃 Im sure its not ideal for gameplay.

Edited by Asset Glue

On 1/15/2022 at 2:45 AM, Peter said:

It is normal that you only see the center terrains after the initial world creation - what does happen when you try out all the different methods on design time terrain loading from the article I linked you? For example what happens if you increase this number to e.g. 10000 in the scene view panel?
image.png

@Peter Thanks  🙂 sorry for late reply Now I can see full terrain. But when i build and play the full terraiin not coming some terrain are missing.

Also i am getting weird effect on grass as we'll also a brightness light at the left bottom of the screen for build version.

Can you please provide link for imposter and how to build that in unity. For example if terrain is split into 5 and imposter will also be 5 so total 10+1 will be thr in the build but when i build the performance is too bad.

Can you please make a video tutorial for bigger terrain till build process.

Thanks

gaia grass s.jpg

Edited by MaxKMadiath

On 1/24/2022 at 9:43 PM, MaxKMadiath said:

But when i build and play the full terraiin not coming some terrain are missing.

When you select the Gaia Terrain Loader Manager during runtime, do you see entries for the missing terrains in the Terrain Panel? If yes, what happens to force load them from the Terrain Loader Manager by clicking the load button for this terrain?

On 1/24/2022 at 9:43 PM, MaxKMadiath said:

Can you please provide link for imposter and how to build that in unity.

Impostors are created from the terrain mesh exporter over here:
https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/library/tools/gaia-pro-2021/written-articles/advanced/terrain-mesh-exporter-r67/

You should only need to switch to the terrain impostor preset, and start the export from there.

It looks like the Flora grass shader is faulty in this scene, or maybe in this project even. You can get the same grass during runtime as during design time by deleting the Flora Terrain Tile component from the terrain:
image.png

To properly fix it, one would need to find out what is going on with the flora terrain detail shader in this project / scene. Could you please check If the shader used in your pipeline has any red shader compilation errors in the inspector when you  select it?
image.png

11 hours ago, Peter said:

When you select the Gaia Terrain Loader Manager during runtime, do you see entries for the missing terrains in the Terrain Panel? If yes, what happens to force load them from the Terrain Loader Manager by clicking the load button for this terrain?

Impostors are created from the terrain mesh exporter over here:
https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/library/tools/gaia-pro-2021/written-articles/advanced/terrain-mesh-exporter-r67/

You should only need to switch to the terrain impostor preset, and start the export from there.

It looks like the Flora grass shader is faulty in this scene, or maybe in this project even. You can get the same grass during runtime as during design time by deleting the Flora Terrain Tile component from the terrain:
image.png

To properly fix it, one would need to find out what is going on with the flora terrain detail shader in this project / scene. Could you please check If the shader used in your pipeline has any red shader compilation errors in the inspector when you  select it?
image.png

@Peter Thanks You are right i am getting this error. But  tried 5 -8 times in different projects every where its like this. If i play in unity its fine no issue but this will only happen when i run the build. If the terrain is small then there is no issue in build as well.

2, Imposter is only for terrain or it will create imposter to trees /buildings as well?

3, Bend Grass means interaction of player on grass is possible using gaia?

image.thumb.png.9fa6357325464eb102725de722555d86.png

image.thumb.png.17e9a7e98de77a4fcb3bd9e17b1edaf1.png

Edited by MaxKMadiath

On 1/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, MaxKMadiath said:

Thanks You are right i am getting this error. But  tried 5 -8 times in different projects every where its like this. If i play in unity its fine no issue but this will only happen when i run the build. If the terrain is small then there is no issue in build as well.

Hmm, it is odd that you have this one compilation error in the one shader - normally there should be none. We did have a similar problem recently in HDRP, there the solution was to activate the setting "Caching Preprocessor" found under Edit > Project Settings > Editor and then reimporting the Shader folders. Could you please try the steps suggested here to see if it makes any difference: https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/forums/topic/103-shader-error-in-shader-graphspw_foliage_shadergraph_hdrp-syntax-error-unexpected-token/?do=findComment&comment=979

2, Imposter is only for terrain or it will create imposter to trees /buildings as well?

It only creates a mesh from the terrain by default. There is an option to render the trees into the impostor terrain texture, so that they are at least represented a bit in the coloring of the distant terrain.

3, Bend Grass means interaction of player on grass is possible using gaia?

We do not support it with our own grass rendering yet. If you use a grass shader / rendering system that can do touch bend and it works together with unity terrains, you should be able to use it with Gaia as well.