Texturing rivers and roads which are generated with GeNa, using GaiaPro to apply textures.

Asset Glue

Recently I have been playing around with the Terrain->Texture extension for GeNa and what I am finding is that it is night and day to use GaiaPro to apply textures. Not only are they blended more acceptably, but you can have multiple texture schemes for a single road, path or river. 

So one of the main issues with my approach to this is the collision masks become unstable. I use the respected collision and change it to layer and then I must apply a layer to the spline mesh that I want to apply textures to. That is all well and good, however this becomes messy when you want to have multiple texture schemes for multiple spline meshes. 

What I am simply saying is that I am advocating for an implicit integration that will allow GaiaPro to recognize GeNaPro created spline meshes individually and have a built in mask to apply 1 or 2 or more textures with differing mask types without needing run out of available layers using the collision mask. Also having a GeNa spline mesh mask would for differing texture schemes would be handy so a person doesn't need to add up to X number of masks and then struggle with having to constantly refresh the collision mask and then look back and scratch the old bald spot wondering why something went wrong. In this scenario one can add such rules into their texture spawner, and run the entire spawn and achieve reproducible results without having to juggle multiple inspectors. (Just a obviously cleaner work flow with reproducibility and expectable stability)

In the end of the day, GaiaPro applies splats for more effectively than GeNa does. The results speak for themselves. 
just one of my many thoughts about things.

5 hours ago, Asset Glue said:

In the end of the day, GaiaPro applies splats for more effectively than GeNa does. The results speak for themselves. 
just one of my many thoughts about things.

Gaia's texturing is orders of magnitude better than GeNa... for now 🙂

In the not too distant future GeNa will get both design time and real time terrain generation and texturing!

• Like 1

We would love to do this, as you pointed out the layer mask is somewhat limited as you only have a fixed amount of layers, also you sometimes have other technical limitations as to why a certain object needs to be on a certain layer.
It is however a bit challenging to change this: When evaluating the object shapes for the collision mask, we take an overhead render of the terrain via a hidden camera - when we filter the rendering by layer, this is relatively easy to do since the camera supports this natively, so we can just say "let's render an image of layer X" and we get the shapes of the objects on there. If we wanted to use a different mechanism, we would need to find a way to render these objects only, ideally without having to mess with the scene by moving / deactivating objects, etc.
We had a very similar request over here as well: 

A side note: If you want to do multiple textures per spline / road in GeNa, you can do so by adding multiple terrain extensions and running them one after another, for one texture each.

• Like 1

@Peter : The Terrain extension is just not as good GaiaPro, for now. It will do the job, but knowing that I can use Gaia to complete an entire texture scheme is far more powerful for reproducing results. 
@Adam : I understand that GeNaPro has not received the same "mother ship" love that is given to GaiaPro and that it does reflect in the price. GeNa is a detailed placement tool, that will also make rivers, roads and paths. It would be very nice to see integration that allows you to use GeNaPro from the same inspectors as GaiaPro. The workflow is less fragmented and more control is allowed from a single source. Splat map rules that I can iterate on and depend on reproducibility.

If integration is not cost effective, consider a cost for the integration, doesn't have to be free.