Which URP Pipeline Renderer and Pipeline Asset should I use?

Larsson24
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi, two questions:

1. Should the URP Asset "UPRenderPipelineAsset PWS UP 8.2.0" use the default "ForwardRenderer" or the "Procedural Worlds Universal Pipeline_Renderer 8.2.0"?

2. Also, what's the difference between the versions, 7.2.0, 8.2.0 and 10.0.0?

image.png.bfdc6c416ae83a8c8559115eb7bd4883.png

image.png.d74aa7362056b48fd1086022985d93b6.png

I can’t answer the first question, but the second one depends on the version of URP you are using. If you use 2019.4 LTS with URP 7.2 or higher, use the 7.2.0 profile. For 2020.3 LTS with URP 8.2 or higher, use the 8.2 one and finally for 2021.1 and upwards, use the 10.0.

Yes, as MitschMR said depends on the Unity version. 
Also, like it says you can use both. Our shaders works for our stuff like flora etc. 

Many thanks! That clarifies the different versions. 

However, my first question regarding which renderer to use comes from the fact that the different Gaia render assets uses different renderers, i.e. some use the unity default and some use the Gaia defaults. For me, this is the default setup from Gaia:

- "UPRenderPipelineAsset PWS UP 7.2.0" uses unity default "ForwardRenderer"

- "UPRenderPipelineAsset PWS UP 8.2.0" uses unity default "ForwardRenderer"

- "UPRenderPipelineAsset PWS UP 10.0.0" uses Gaia default "Procedural Worlds Universal Pipleline_Renderer 10.0.0"

But when I look in the same folder Gaia have Renderers for the two earlier versions as well, called Procedural Worlds Universal Pipleline_Renderer 7.2.0 and 8.2.0. But they don't seam to be used. See pictures from original post. 

So my question is really, is this correct? Should render asset 7.2.0 and 8.2.0 not use the corresponding Gaia Renderers or is this a bug? I'm new to URP so maybe this isn't important. Just seamed strange to me. 

Note: This is the default setup when Gaia setting up everything as recommended, i.e. I just click yes and continue when upgrading to URP in Gaia manager. I have tested it in a completely new project as well. 

• Solution
2 hours ago, Larsson24 said:

Should render asset 7.2.0 and 8.2.0 not use the corresponding Gaia Renderers or is this a bug? I'm new to URP so maybe this isn't important.

They should in theory, I would need to do some investigation as to why that is not the case here - what could be is that those rendering pipeline assets were made using the respective URP package version as well, and if you view those under a higher version of the URP package the connection to the renders breaks because the data inside is serialized differently.
But it should not matter as much, because:
- Even in the latest 2020.3 releases Unity installs a URP version of 10.6.0 as recommended version, so the older render pipeline assets are not really relevant anymore.
- Even if they were, I would expect them to run fine with the default renderer inside. 

This is a classic example of why it is so hard to deliver shaders that just work in every possible scenario as Unity asset publishers.

You have a myriad of unity versions, pipeline types, and pipeline versions which not only need shaders, but also materials, and assets configured to use those materials - all of these evolve over time.

Then you have people's projects, which have their own idiosyncrasies (often self inflicted by the user), along with other assets which are also trying to navigate the render pipeline evolution that Unity is currently going through.

And finally you have Unity itself, which is also doing the best it can to be stable as it evolves, across 20 odd hardware platforms. It's a tribute to the unity team that anything works 🙂

On 1/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, Adam said:

And finally you have Unity itself, which is also doing the best it can to be stable as it evolves

Trying some standup comedy ? ;D

• Like 2