January Poll - Vote Now!

Adam

January Poll  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is the first thing we should focus on making in January ?

• Styled spawner packs with packs like Suntail Fantasy Village, Azure Nature
    • 3d Forge Village exteriors spawner pack
    • Cliffs spawner pack from Castle Valley
    • Mexican desert spawner pack
    • Game creator 2 integration
    • Underwater corals / foliage pack
    • Deep sea exploration game template
    • Dallol alien planet pack
    • Fields of colour in low poly
    • Gaia mask creation by painting directly on the terrain
    • Spooky environment game ready level using horror house asset
    • Slopes and paths stamp pack
    • Assembly definitions inclusion in Gaia (probably Gaia 2022)
    • Refactor gaia folder layout (also Gaia 2022)
    • Stamp blending between large mismatched heights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/2022 at 03:12 PM

Hey everyone - thanks for your suggestions... very much appreciated. It was totally cool seeing all the awesome suggestions that came in.

As promised here is our January Vote - to get community feedback on what we should make next. We will take the feedback of the community and use this to prioritize what we create next. Our intention is to build as many as we can in parallel 🙂

Also, fyi, while you are voting on this, we already have a bunch of new assets landing in the next few days.

• Like 3

• Adam changed the title to January Poll - Vote Now!
  • Adam featured and pinned this topic

I think the big question from me here @Adamis what happens with the list?
Does the team tackle only one plus their regular stuff? Or is there a set chunk of hours in the background and they'll do as many of them as they can from the top of the list down?
Simply curious!

The big one from me though, do the lists carry over? There's things on here I would LOVE to see. But others I'd love to see more.
Does this months incomplete list carry across to Feb? Or only those with a couple of votes? Or do we suggest it all over again?

• Like 1

Totally loving the list - lots of awesome ideas here.

We will be guided by the community on how to do this... perhaps we roll them all over... or roll everything over that has more than one vote ?

• Like 3

Yeah, roll them over. I want all the ones I asked for and done if the ones others asked for. So I'll only resubmit next time anyway.

If it starts to get too large maybe reset every quarter and invite folks to resubmit. 

• Like 1

One word of caution on rolling stuff over constantly is you eventually end up with a list of stuff that never wins because 'the new hotness' tends to rise to the top. Obviously this site is no where near that issue yet but something to keep in mind long term that has a few solutions where you curate the list or run 'losers rounds' or whatever as you are able to grow and accomplish more of them.

• Like 2

one thing, I can see happen is the more popular assets, being picked everytime, and others being ignored, so I agree with Bunny, some of us vets don't use the popular packs either.. ( more new user stuff or say artist friendly stuff, so for example, if you aren't an artist   alot aren't  I can see as an example. Styled, or say realism type  getting picked, and others ignored.  all the time. (

Which  after awhile, will make some folks, not want to sub, if its all about one type of user.. So beware of that.  Mix it up.. I would not roll it over.   Let users, repick. If they repick again, Great , but I would not allow stylized again, for a another month. same with the type, like environment, vs, buildings, or cliffs, etc.  

So I WOULD look at art type, style and stuff inside the asset itself, maybe some people want buildings, some may want environment.. but if say outside environment, always win and say stylized always wins, other users will get frustrated after awhile..

Votes can work, but they also can screw over alot of other users.. So, I would find ways to mix it up.  So some things, I seen happen in other places, with this , it can be exploited, or non intentional, cause other users to always be left out..  (upsetting them.. ) 

SO what I would do, if say  stylized wins, and say Fantasy wins, then it can't again for a few months.  Meaning that type of pack, people can vote for another types.  Because I can see, if say alot of people are working on stylized, and alot on realism, but maybe 2-3  people  more in stylized..  The folks doing realism packs, may never win.... causing more problems.

Just some more things to think about. In my opinion. ( I don't buy art, so I have no dog in this fight.)   No matter what you do.:) 

Edited by Recon
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Recon said:

Votes can work, but they also can screw over alot of other users

I was assuming that the votes would be used to GUIDE the team, not just popularity wise. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Timps said:

I was assuming that the votes would be used to GUIDE the team, not just popularity wise. 

This is the first month so Id imagine it's in flux. the team have expressed certain things are too complicated or otherwise inappropriate so there's some level of curation already. But it's a good time to bring up these issues, Recon brought up some stuff I hadn't really put into context in my post, like what if every month a new Synty pack won the popular vote ? That'd be utterly useless to me as I don't generally use those assets outside game jams... whereas a new feature in a PW product is probably going to be useful to me some time.

It's just something for the PW folk to keep in mind as this plays out, because in any popularity contest you often get a similar result regularly if you don't put in some way of mixing up the votes.

Ultimately once the PW folk get an idea of what people want I imagine they'll either curate a voting list, or even forgo the public suggestions and just present a list of options they're interesting in pursuing but that's possibly me projecting my favoured method of dealing with the issue.

• Like 4

Yup, 100% Bunny, its not about popular contest, its about being fair, and making sure things don't get to the point of one style always winning... and others being left out...  I been in this industry a long time, I also have children, this can happen..  So, its super easy to unintentional, cause these problems..  so i'm a problem solver by nature, so I think about issues that CAN happen... and will prolly happen.  In this day in age, even more so..

So, I try to think about issues that MAY come up, and avoid them, at all cost..  ( this is the point to feed back) . You may not like what others suggest, or you may.  but,  I personally could  careless either way as I  rarely use others people art.  (Unless it was given to me.) I don't buy art assets, so  as I said I have no dog in the fight.     But anyone that knows me, knows I care alot about fairness, and making sure people are NOT always left out.   You want people to be involved as much as possible.. 

When Bunny said that, it made me remember things I have seen, with other voting systems like this... ( it can play to ONE side all the time) and many times not INTENTIONAL..   

Image, someone, liking a certain user, and they are voting everything he picks?  and its to finish there game.....  would that be really fair?  I don't find it fair, it can cause problems..  What about, someone seeing the votes, and is like, I really don't care, but I like stylized, so I will ALWAYS pick it all the time... They can and its fair, but then, anyone that likes, realism, will always be left out, if there are always one or two less users that are actually developing it ....  

That is bound to happen, if the site say has 20 users, and 13 of them are all working on stylized games...   and the other 7 are realism.  chances are they will always lose.  ( art style does not always matter as far as spawners, you can use alot of the same for any art style.. but using this as an example for certain packs.. That are direct to a certain art style...

PS: I use win or lose..   for an example, there are no REAL winners or losers....  so, no offense I don't want people to read into that to much..

My comment is all about fairness, and making sure, not favorable assets, or stylizes are NOT being left out all the time, or atleast has a decent chance of being chosen....  

Totally loving the feedback here - appreciate everyone's input and kind of wish we had done this a long time ago.

The feedback is confirming some things that I always thought were desirable, and now know are desirable, so that's already a win for everyone.

This is one of those things. We are not a particularly large team, so we have to work within our financial constraints, however, the feedback here helps us to create more and better content, and that in turn drives more subscribers, which means we can assign more resources to create more content.

The forums have a refer a friend box at the top right hand side. Please take a moment and share canopy with your friends. The more popular it gets, the more rapidly we can accelerate the creation of the content you are all asking for.

Our next drop of content for xChange members will land next week - and we are quite excited about it. It is a new game template that allows you to easily turn your environments into a rail shooter... imagine that... 10 mins and you have a cool game you can learn from and show your friends.

We have also been busy working on other xChange content while you have been making your suggestions, and now that the votes are coming in, we will focus the team on implementing the things you have all asked for!

• Like 3

Curious as to what the next step is going to be.  Is there a time frame before anything is released?  A month? 2 months?  I realize these things take time but I am just curious.  I bought all of the procedural worlds assets on the asset store but still signed up for subscription for content like this so I just have ants in my pants for it.   Please take your time though as I am not trying to rush anyone, I am just excited.

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback.

In response to the question you are all no doubt asking... here is what we are working on:

• Adam locked and unpinned this topic
  • Adam pinned this topic
  • Adam unpinned this topic