Lights are too dim at night

Fredric

Hello! I'm new to ToD and my lights (point lights and spotlights) are far too dim at night. I've had this problem and solved it many times before, including with another weather asset (Enviro) but nothing I try seems to solve it this time. Messing with the exposure and ambient lighting doesn't seem to do anything for the intensity of lights in the scene. Raising the intensity value of the light to absurd levels (20000 lumen and above) does the trick, but I shouldn't have to do that, and it would mess up a bunch of things for me. Any idea what settings I should adjust? Thanks in advance!

• Fredric changed the title to Lights are too dim at night

No, this shouldn't be an issue, its simply a matter of calculating the rendering of lights. 
You should be fine with the intensity as it wouldn't cause and issue to the scene. 

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

No, this shouldn't be an issue, its simply a matter of calculating the rendering of lights. 
You should be fine with the intensity as it wouldn't cause and issue to the scene. 

All right, that's good to know, but what should I do to adress my problem?

I am talking with the team on how to solve this issue. 
If adjusting the light intensity isnt working either that would mean something is going wrong with the lighting. 
Do you currently have any other weather asset in right now? 
What Unity version are you using? 

56 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I am talking with the team on how to solve this issue. 
If adjusting the light intensity isnt working either that would mean something is going wrong with the lighting. 
Do you currently have any other weather asset in right now? 
What Unity version are you using? 

I'm not using any other weather asset now, and I'm on Unity version 2021.3.21f1. However, I think I may have been unclear as to what my problem is, so I'll try to explain it again.

I'm working on a game which has a day-and-night cycle, and it's very important that nights are very dark and that dynamic lights in the scene (such as the player's flashlight for example) are bright at night and light up the environment effectively. However, with ToD, the nights are quite bright and dynamic lights in the scene are very dim. This usually has to do with not having the correct exposure level, but changing the exposure levels in the ToD settings (through the HDRP Time Of Day-object in the scene hierarchy) doesn't seem to change the brightness of point lights and spot lights relative to the rest of the scene. Instead, it only affects the overall brightness of the scene, which is contrary to how it's usually worked for me before when working with lighting in HDRP. I've tried with both automatic and fixed exposure. I've also tried changing the settings in the Indirect Lighting Controller override in the Time Of Day Components-object, as well as tried to change other lighting and ambient lighting settings, but nothing seems to have the desired effect, and I don't know enough about how ToD works to be able to figure it out. Like I said, increasing the intensity of lights in the scene, such as the flashlight, to extremely high values does seem to work, but doing that for all lights would be problematic in my project.

So to sum up, how should I handle the intensity of lights in the scene relative to the rest of the scene, if for example I'd like a flashlight to look very bright at night? I've attached a few images to show how it should look versus how it looks with the ToD-asset. Thanks in advance!

Correct (using Enviro 3)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NX0rjatau4rBZ8IARPsDzK4SfzAbT6zE/view?usp=sharing

Incorrect
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1baMwp8cfzioMR12cT1tGeW6FhoXVfLTN/view?usp=sharing

Incorrect (Exposure adjusted to make scene darker)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12IPIvpXZl-7jrOb2GStisL0NELz5Eyib/view?usp=sharing

Incorrect (Exposure adjusted to make scene darker and flashlight pointed at surface)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RXldPrt3g1ULS0x7BihVMnCHD50J0t_Z/view?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...