Spawner API improvement idea

AdamBlas
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hi, I come with an idea/solution to issue I've had.

Imagine we have code like this:

GeNaSpawner spawner = // ...
spawner.SpawnerData.MinInstances = 100;
spawner.SpawnerData.MaxInstances = 150;
Debug.Log($"Min instances: {spawner.SpawnerData.MinInstances}");

I've noticed some inconsistency in this code. Sometimes, MinInstances would be properly set, but sometimes, it would stay at the value you can see in GeNaSpawner inspector.

After some tesing I've discovered that the reason why MinInstances may not be set to a new value is because new value is greater than MaxInstances. In this case, MinInstances value would stay the same. Then I simply fixed my code like that:

GeNaSpawner spawner = // ...
spawner.SpawnerData.MaxInstances = int.MaxValue;
spawner.SpawnerData.MinInstances = 100;
spawner.SpawnerData.MaxInstances = 150;
Debug.Log($"Min instances: {spawner.SpawnerData.MinInstances}");

While it was easy to fix, it took me too much time to find it.

So, my proposition is to either increase MaxInstances when MinInstances is greater or to put some console warning that assignment operation has failed.

• Solution

Hello AdamBlas,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for dedicating time to troubleshoot and understand this issue.

You're absolutely right, the inconsistencies you've observed when setting MinInstances and MaxInstances can be confusing. We appreciate your idea to improve this mechanism.

I've come up with a possible solution to this, which would involve moving the checks from the properties to the Editor. This way, when adjusting the values via the API, there won't be any unexpected changes.

We'll make sure to review and consider this adjustment in our future updates. Your contribution to enhancing the user experience with GeNa Pro is greatly appreciated!