Just got the Gaia PRO 2021 - Two bugs

MrIJM

Hello there,

just bought the Gaia Pro 2021 and I have some problems.

When spawning biom on a multi scene world, i get a strange "stripe" that's empty.

How to recreate:

1.) Import and enable Gaia (With URP)

2.) Create a random world that's 5x5 and 1024 per square (With any of the default bioms)

3.) Populate the biom

Here is the screenshot: https://imgtr.ee/image/GaiaBug.Q0rW

Other bug is very simple, you didn't lock the rotations on the rigidbody for the 3rd person player controller so it tips over. (I won't use it anyway, but it's nice for previews)

Hi @MrIJM thanks for reporting these! I looked into it, and the spawning issue is a bug in the latest Gaia version that was caused by changes how the spawner range was calculated. We will release an update shortly to fix this, until then you can use this patch to fix the bug:

GaiaEmptySpawnAreasHotfix.zip

Please install the contained .unitypackage via Assets > Import Package > Custom Package.

I had a look at the third person controller as well, what is strange is that in our development environment the flags for "constraint rotation" are set, but are missing when the package is installed in 2022.3. I need to check some more, to find out what is going on, but if in doubt we can force this on when the player is being created. For now, you can activate the constraints directly in the prefab, this should fix it for your current installation then:

image.png

Thanks!

I'd suggest you freeze the Rigidbody rotations form the script; To avoid this problem once and for all 😜

2 hours ago, MrIJM said:

I'd suggest you freeze the Rigidbody rotations form the script; To avoid this problem once and for all

Turns out that this is what is happening already, if you check in line 41 in ThirdPersonCharacter.cs, the rotations are frozen there on scene start. The prefab comes with that setting turned off, but on scene start it should be set automatically. I tried this in a fresh install again and it seems to work for me, not sure why this did not trigger for you, did you see any errors when starting the scene?

I'm looking at the code right now.
Yeah, that error that I had was very strange.
I've deleted that scene yesterday, and recreated it while doing the same things, and right now everything works as it should.
I also don't remember seeing any errors. (This was done on a clean project, Unity 2022.3.3f1)

The only thing I see in the code that could cause behaviour I've described would be the PhotoMode.cs.

Only error that could stop FreezeRotation inside of the ThirdPersonCharacter whould be GetComponent methods in that same Start method, and that doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, it's a strange bug; But it did happened to me and It could happened to others. (Anything that can go wrong will go wrong)

What I've would suggest to make this code a bit more bullet proof.

ThirPersonCharacter.cs:

public void SetDefaulatRigidbodyConstraints()
{
   m_Rigidbody.constraints = RigidbodyConstraints.FreezeRotation;
}

void Start()
{
  	m_Animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    m_Rigidbody = GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    m_Capsule = GetComponent<CapsuleCollider>();
    m_CapsuleHeight = m_Capsule.height;
    m_CapsuleCenter = m_Capsule.center;

SetDefaulatRigidbodyConstraints();
    m_OrigGroundCheckDistance = m_GroundCheckDistance;
}

And than inside of the PhotoMode.cs, when you are exiting, instead of doing what you did with a temporary variable holding the original states of the player controller, simply call:

m_lastPlayerController.SetDefaulatRigidbodyConstraints();

Anyway, I've reported this just so you know it's a thing. I've been working professionally with Unity for almost 15 years now, so I don't have any problems. I got Gaia just so I can create beautiful terrains with ease. But I know that there are many users who don't understand what's going on, and they just wan to use Gaia as an all in one solution for doing everything. I've read the review before buying, and from what I saw most of them came from people who don't know anything about programming or unity and found it frustrating when things didn't work out of the box. Good luck with bugfixing! I'll report anything that I find, .

• Like 1