UV issue after optimization

Abbas Jafari
Go to solution Solved by Manny,

Hey @Abbas Jafari,

Thanks for sharing the details along with the before and after images, they are helpful in understanding your issue.

From your description, it seems like you're encountering problems with UV mapping of optimized meshes after re-baking lights in Unity 2022.3.1 with our Scene Optimizer.

To address your problem, we need a bit more information. Could you please provide:

• The version of the Scene Optimizer you're currently using.
  • The exact steps you're following during the optimization and re-baking process.

This will help us diagnose the issue more effectively and find the best solution for you.

Looking forward to your response.

Best,
Manny

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Hey @Abbas Jafari,

Thanks for sharing the details along with the before and after images, they are helpful in understanding your issue.

From your description, it seems like you're encountering problems with UV mapping of optimized meshes after re-baking lights in Unity 2022.3.1 with our Scene Optimizer.

To address your problem, we need a bit more information. Could you please provide:

• The version of the Scene Optimizer you're currently using.
  • The exact steps you're following during the optimization and re-baking process.

This will help us diagnose the issue more effectively and find the best solution for you.

Looking forward to your response.

Best,
Manny

I have v1.1.4. 

First, I cleared the baked map data. Then I optimized the scene. Then I enabled the optimized meshes and disabled the original meshes. Finally I baked the lights.

• Solution

Hey @Abbas Jafari,

After carefully investigating your issue, I believe the root cause lies in the scaling of the UV2s. These weren't properly adjusted to match the new combined mesh, which can, in turn, affect the lighting in your 3D scene.

Attached here is a patch that contains fixes relating to the lighting UV2 data, please download and import in your project. Let me know if this works for you!

SceneOptimizer115-b2.unitypackage

Here's the new Global Illumination UVs before and after:
2023-06-12_20-48-47.gif

Here's the new Lightmaps before and after:
2023-06-12_20-45-51.gif

It's important to note that while a fix may help your specific issue, there are inherent limitations with Unity's built-in combine method. Unity does not automatically preserve this data, and as such, a custom translation process is usually necessary. Even with available manual adjustments, it's not always possible to perfectly preserve this data due to potential overlaps and inconsistencies in the UV mapping.

Regrettably, this means that we won't have any improvements scheduled to address this in future updates of Scene Optimizer. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter!

Best,
Manny

Hey,
Thank you for the provided packages, but since I'm working for a team and on commercial project, I'm not able to use beta packages. I find the solution in installing another asset. 

2 hours ago, Abbas Jafari said:

Hey,
Thank you for the provided packages, but since I'm working for a team and on commercial project, I'm not able to use beta packages. I find the solution in installing another asset. 

Hey @Abbas Jafari

Thanks for getting back to us! I understand your situation about not being able to use beta packages for a commercial project. The provided package was intended to test if this resolves your specific issue.

If this fix works, our plan is to incorporate it into a new update for Scene Optimizer. That way, you won't have to rely on a beta version for your project.

Best,
Manny

• 5 months later...