Performance problems with GeNa Pro in Editor

darksky

Hi @PW Team I have a small problem with GeNa. I am not sure if this is the right channel to ask questions, if that's the case let me know where i can post it. I am using Unity 2021.3.11 and we are using GeNa for level design for a huge VR Project. (along with Gaia) I imported GeNa into the project and it seems like the profiler tests on editor show almost 90% usage on the EditorLoop, being used by GeNa calling

OnHeirarchyChanged

even though my current working scene does NOT have any GeNa components on them, resulting in FPS numbers of 2-3 FPS (sometimes < 1) I tried running GeNa maintainence, but that did not help. It's starting to get frustrating because All i have on the project is the GeNa Plugin, unused in scene, but 90% of my editor performance is taken up by it. Any help, or pointers are highly appreciated. Thanks! 

10 hours ago, darksky said:

Hi @PW Team I have a small problem with GeNa. I am not sure if this is the right channel to ask questions, if that's the case let me know where i can post it. I am using Unity 2021.3.11 and we are using GeNa for level design for a huge VR Project. (along with Gaia) I imported GeNa into the project and it seems like the profiler tests on editor show almost 90% usage on the EditorLoop, being used by GeNa calling

OnHeirarchyChanged

even though my current working scene does NOT have any GeNa components on them, resulting in FPS numbers of 2-3 FPS (sometimes < 1) I tried running GeNa maintainence, but that did not help. It's starting to get frustrating because All i have on the project is the GeNa Plugin, unused in scene, but 90% of my editor performance is taken up by it. Any help, or pointers are highly appreciated. Thanks! 

Hey @darksky,

As mentioned through discord, I am currently investigating the issue and I suspect is has something to do with a third-party plugin we are utilizing for Editor Undo operations. I will post further updates to this matter here.

11 hours ago, darksky said:

OnHeirarchyChanged

Hey @darksky,

I have investigated the product in length and found that your issue seems to be related to how we were maintaining the 'GeNaTerrainEvents' scripts on Terrains. If you have a scene with Terrains, the performance issue becomes more prominent. 

I have refactored the script to maintain the GeNaTerrainEvents in your scene once you have loaded the project. It shouldn't do it again unless you add or remove your Terrains in your hierarchy.

Give this latest patch a test and if all is well on your end, I'll push it through to the Asset Store! 🙂

GeNaProv3.5.3_Patch_01.unitypackage

Hi Manny, thanks for the reply. I tried the fix but unfortunately that didnt fix the problem.

To give you more context on the problem, We are using Gaia Terrains in the scene, and GeNa mainly to build the water and road systems (splines). 

We are on URP and Unity 2021.3.11

GeNa is part of a separate git submodule (although shouldnt be a problem)

This seems to be an isolated issue on my end, since the other devs dont seem to have this problem, 

I have tried checking out their branches and running play mode, but it just seems to happen on my end.

Ill be happy to provide any more details....Should i just try a reimport?

On 6/9/2023 at 6:07 PM, darksky said:

Hi Manny, thanks for the reply. I tried the fix but unfortunately that didnt fix the problem.

To give you more context on the problem, We are using Gaia Terrains in the scene, and GeNa mainly to build the water and road systems (splines). 

We are on URP and Unity 2021.3.11

GeNa is part of a separate git submodule (although shouldnt be a problem)

This seems to be an isolated issue on my end, since the other devs dont seem to have this problem, 

I have tried checking out their branches and running play mode, but it just seems to happen on my end.

Ill be happy to provide any more details....Should i just try a reimport?

My suggestion would be to try deleting GeNa from the project entirely by removing the folder located in Procedural Worlds > GeNa. Then re-import the product. Unity has been known to have issues with Library so doing this should hopefully assist in anything GeNa-Related.

4 hours ago, Manny said:

My suggestion would be to try deleting GeNa from the project entirely by removing the folder located in Procedural Worlds > GeNa. Then re-import the product. Unity has been known to have issues with Library so doing this should hopefully assist in anything GeNa-Related.

Update: I tried this,  but there still seems to be the same problem. My last option is to perform a fresh clone of the project. Re-Import did not help

I just uploaded a new version of GeNa (3.5.3), could you try that one? If that latest fix doesn't work, then I have another alternative. I'll try disabling that entire piece of logic so nothing runs in the editor on GeNa's side. If that doesn't fix it, then at least we know it's not GeNa.

4 hours ago, Manny said:

I just uploaded a new version of GeNa (3.5.3), could you try that one? If that latest fix doesn't work, then I have another alternative. I'll try disabling that entire piece of logic so nothing runs in the editor on GeNa's side. If that doesn't fix it, then at least we know it's not GeNa.

Thanks Manny! i will try this out and update you as soon as possible. I wouldnt completely put it on GeNa either since it seems to be isolated on my end. Let's see what happens!