Mismatched heightmap resolutions between terrains

Thomas123
Go to solution Solved by Thomas123,

I get the following error. What does this mean and how do I solve it?

- My base terrain has a Mesh resolution of Width: 8192, Length: 8192, Height: 2048, Detail Resolution per Patch: 16, Detail Resolution: 4096
- My Sectors (Sectr 2019 Complete) have a Mesh resolution of Width: 1024, Length: 1024, Height: 2048, Detail Resolution per Patch: 8, Detail Resolution: 512
- I use GTS in addition

[Warning] [GeNa Pro]: Mismatched heightmap resolutions between terrains: The terrain Terrain_0_0-20230424 - 083740 6-6-0 Terrain does use a different heightmap resolution than the origin terrain, this terrain will be ignored.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
GeNa.GeNaDebug:DefaultLogCallback (UnityEngine.LogType,string,UnityEngine.Object)
GeNa.GeNaDebug:LogWarning (string,UnityEngine.Object)
GeNa.Core.GeNaMultiTerrainOperation:GetHeightmap ()
GeNa.Core.TerrainTools:GetTerrainEntity (GeNa.Core.TerrainModifier)
GeNa.Core.TerrainTools:GenerateTerrainEntity (GeNa.Core.TerrainModifier,GeNa.Core.GeNaSpline)
GeNa.Core.GeNaCarveExtension:Visualize () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GeNa/Scripts/Runtime/Extensions/GeNaCarveExtension.cs:138)
GeNa.Core.GeNaCarveExtension:OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GeNa/Scripts/Runtime/Extensions/GeNaCarveExtension.cs:95)
GeNa.Core.GeNaSplineExtension:SceneGUI ()
GeNa.Core.GeNaSpline:OnSceneGUI ()

Just upgraded to the current version in the asset store (3.5.1). Same error

[Warning] [GeNa Pro]: Mismatched heightmap resolutions between terrains: The terrain Terrain_0_0-20230424 - 083740 6-6-0 Terrain does use a different heightmap resolution than the origin terrain, this terrain will be ignored.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
GeNa.GeNaDebug:DefaultLogCallback (UnityEngine.LogType,string,UnityEngine.Object)
GeNa.GeNaDebug:LogWarning (string,UnityEngine.Object)
GeNa.Core.GeNaMultiTerrainOperation:GetHeightmap ()
GeNa.Core.TerrainTools:GetTerrainEntity (GeNa.Core.TerrainModifier)
GeNa.Core.TerrainTools:GenerateTerrainEntity (GeNa.Core.TerrainModifier,GeNa.Core.GeNaSpline)
GeNa.Core.GeNaCarveExtension:Visualize () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GeNa/Scripts/Runtime/Extensions/GeNaCarveExtension.cs:138)
GeNa.Core.GeNaCarveExtension:OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GeNa/Scripts/Runtime/Extensions/GeNaCarveExtension.cs:95)
GeNa.Core.GeNaSplineExtension:SceneGUI ()
GeNa.Core.GeNaSpline:OnSceneGUI ()
GeNa.Core.SplineEditor:OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GeNa/Scripts/Editor/SplineEditor.cs:157)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

Some additional info about this.

• This will result in the fact, that none of the Splines are working anymore. The carving is not done and road textures are not applied.

Hi @Thomas123 I'm a bit distant to GeNa development, but I think I have an idea what potentially might cause this: In unity each terrain has a heightmap resolution setting.

image.png

The heightmap resolution determines the detail level of the height information, or in other words how many vertices/polygons the terrain uses to render the terrain mesh.
When an operation that changes the terrain heightmap goes over multiple terrains, both the terrains need to have the same heightmap resolution. Otherwise, there will be issues with splitting that operation up and sampling it correctly for the heightmaps of the affected terrains. This is a general limitation within unity, you will get similar error messages from the terrain inspector as well if you try to raise the terrain across two tiles with different heightmap resolution.

Can you please check the heightmap resolution of the affected terrain tiles and see if any stray terrain has a different resolution than the rest?

Thanks for your hint.

• The original terrain has a resolution of 4097 x 4097
  • That terrain was sectorized by SECTR into chunks
  • The terrain then was polished with GTS

I have imported all chunks again and check each of them

• These terrain 64 chunks have a heightmap resolution of 513x513 for some reason (no idea why, but I use polygon setup of Gaia/Sectr/GTS)
  • I check all 64 of them. They are the same (513x513)

So that does not seem to be the problem?  Anything else I can check or do?

Found another Waring. This time from Gaia and Compass Navigator??

Top right neighbor of the terrain has a different heightmap resolution. Stop neighboring.
UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline:RenderSingleCamera (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext,UnityEngine.Camera)
Gaia.GaiaPlanarReflections:ExecutePlanarReflections (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext,UnityEngine.Camera) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Water System/Reflections/GaiaPlanarReflections.cs:139)
UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager:DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset,intptr,System.Collections.Generic.List`1<UnityEngine.Camera/RenderRequest>,Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle)
CompassNavigatorPro.CompassPro:UpdateMiniMap () (at Assets/ThirdPartyPlugins/CompassNavigatorPro/Scripts/Private/CompassProPrivate.cs:1814)
CompassNavigatorPro.CompassPro:LateUpdate () (at Assets/ThirdPartyPlugins/CompassNavigatorPro/Scripts/Private/CompassProPrivate.cs:316)

Can this problem be related to GTS (texture arrays?). I tried to update them and got the following error. Or is it just a follow-on problem?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSProfile.RefreshTerrainLayers (ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSTerrain gtsTerrain, System.Boolean updateExisting) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Scripts/Core/ScriptableObjects/GTSProfile.cs:778)
ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSProfile.RefreshTerrainLayers (UnityEngine.Terrain[] terrains, System.Boolean updateExisting) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Scripts/Core/ScriptableObjects/GTSProfile.cs:722)
ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSProfileEditor.TextureLayerSettingsPanel (System.Boolean helpEnabled) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Scripts/Editor/CustomEditors/GTSProfileEditor.cs:566)
PWCommon5.EditorUtils.Panel (UnityEngine.GUIContent panelLabel, System.String helpKey, System.Action`1[T] contentMethod, UnityEngine.GUIStyle labelStyle, System.Boolean ignoreGuiChange, System.Boolean defaultStatus, System.Boolean showVersionNumber, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <5e780e565d3b4b63836c767b4e8e9d7f>:0)
PWCommon5.EditorUtils.Panel (UnityEngine.GUIContent panelLabel, System.String helpKey, System.Action`1[T] contentMethod, System.Boolean ignoreGuiChange, System.Boolean defaultStatus, System.Boolean showVersionNumber, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <5e780e565d3b4b63836c767b4e8e9d7f>:0)
PWCommon5.EditorUtils.Panel (System.String nameKey, System.Action`1[T] contentMethod, System.Boolean defaultStatus, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <5e780e565d3b4b63836c767b4e8e9d7f>:0)
ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSProfileEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Scripts/Editor/CustomEditors/GTSProfileEditor.cs:275)
ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSTerrainEditor.SettingsPanel (System.Boolean helpEnabled) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Scripts/Editor/CustomEditors/GTSTerrainEditor.cs:105)
PWCommon5.EditorUtils.Panel (UnityEngine.GUIContent panelLabel, System.Action`1[T] contentMethod, UnityEngine.GUIStyle labelStyle, System.Boolean defaultStatus, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <5e780e565d3b4b63836c767b4e8e9d7f>:0)
PWCommon5.EditorUtils.Panel (UnityEngine.GUIContent panelLabel, System.Action`1[T] contentMethod, System.Boolean defaultStatus, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <5e780e565d3b4b63836c767b4e8e9d7f>:0)
ProceduralWorlds.GTS.GTSTerrainEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Scripts/Editor/CustomEditors/GTSTerrainEditor.cs:55)
UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass59_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/ModuleOverrides/com.unity.ui/Editor/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:636)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

• Solution

Found the solution. For some reason, the sectorized, original terrain was not disabled. That's why the error stated the different heightmaps. Disabling it, solved the error. Thanks for your help!