Spline not working in Unity 2019.4.13

Ryan
Go to solution Solved by Manny,

I'm using Gena Pro and Unity 2019.4.13, I create a spline and path it out. I add an active connected extension - terrain, but nothing is added, I then choose any of them, but nothing is added. Can you test and fix this please?

I'm building a terrain in Unity 2019 and this is the version I have been requested to use. It's related to bugs, VR compatibility, etc and not in my control.

Edited by Ryan

I would sticky this known issue, for Gena pro ^^ about GIZMO's.  I see people having that issue alot.  Sorry to Hi-jack your thread.  What about adding something that checks to see if its enabled when  set splines?  ( I know its easy to turn GIZMO's on, but this is a common question we see alot.  So, its something I tend to think about.  See when first use it, have it say it some where in the inspector, near  input, or have it check that its enabled, during the drawing of nodes process. ( but still allowing the user to turn off if they like.

Just a suggestion. 

Sorry for the HI-JACK!

PS I would pin this as a known question. (not really an issue) 

Edited by Recon

@Recon, we actually already have a utility built-in to Splines and Spawners that detects this for you. If you have Gizmos disabled and you select a Spline (or a Spawner) there is a warning that pops up at the top of the inspector for the Spline that warns you to toggle it on. I guess we'll have to make it more prominent if people still have it turned off.
image.thumb.png.cdf731e4fe58676c808d7470c2008c5a.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manny said:

@Recon, we actually already have a utility built-in to Splines and Spawners that detects this for you. If you have Gizmos disabled and you select a Spline (or a Spawner) there is a warning that pops up at the top of the inspector for the Spline that warns you to toggle it on. I guess we'll have to make it more prominent if people still have it turned off.
image.thumb.png.cdf731e4fe58676c808d7470c2008c5a.png

Ya, I work with 4 screens, in non full screen, so honestly never knew it was there lol...  when was this added? Does this come up as you start to draw or is it always there?  if its always there, I recommend as you start to place nodes, to have it pop on for a few second in screen. as a brief warning, only the first time you set a spline node.    ( I would keep that one too)  .  but also have it, where the user has control over that warning pop up. 

So for vets they can disable the warning. and just have the inspector one.   ( I would just have it for new users.)  Mostly.   

One of the biggest issues with Unity editor inspectors, is they are not very clean, and ugly as hell, hard to see..  So every asset I ever used, you miss things, so easily.   One of the things I complained about in old Gena, and others assets, I actually changed the UI , and even colors alot.  So I can see things easier.  

I also used to have a tool I would use to set important buttons I used and made a custom window.   

Edited by Recon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Recon said:

Ya, I work with 4 screens, in non full screen, so honestly never knew it was there lol...  when was this added? Does this come up as you start to draw or is it always there?  if its always there, I recommend as you start to place nodes, to have it pop on for a few second in screen. as a brief warning, only the first time you set a spline node.    ( I would keep that one too)  .  but also have it, where the user has control over that warning pop up. 

So for vets they can disable the warning. and just have the inspector one.   ( I would just have it for new users.)  Mostly.   

One of the biggest issues with Unity editor inspectors, is they are not very clean, and ugly as hell, hard to see..  So every asset I ever used, you miss things, so easily.   One of the things I complained about in old Gena, and others assets, I actually changed the UI , and even colors alot.  So I can see things easier.  

I also used to have a tool I would use to set important buttons I used and made a custom window.   

That's a really good suggestion. I'll definitely look into improving this. I want to make sure that when users are trying to use a GeNa Spline, I want something non-intrusive to suggest to turn on Gizmos. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Manny said:

That's a really good suggestion. I'll definitely look into improving this. I want to make sure that when users are trying to use a GeNa Spline, I want something non-intrusive to suggest to turn on Gizmos. 

Yup, this is why for new users anyways, to be able to give a fast warning, any time they set a node for the first time.  for any spline. but still be able to turn off that first warning, so that the vet users, won't be annoyed.  for something popping up all the time.  

This can be a balancing  game for sure with UX, UI from new to vets, so this is why i'm suggesting both.  This way, vets can easily go into a menu, or the inspector like you have there and turn off the warning that pops up, but still have it where they can enable if it shut off by accident.   New users will be ready for it, and it will help with support for a few seconds. Only when they set there first node.  for 5-8 seconds or so. 

That should help stop support questions about  gizmo's.   if it wasn't a common question, I wouldn't of bothered. 🙂

Edited by Recon

11 minutes ago, Manny said:

hey its bugged the warning by the way.  prolly why I also never seen it.

224e2.jpg

2 hours ago, Recon said:

hey its bugged the warning by the way.  prolly why I also never seen it.

224e2.jpg

Did you deselect the Gizmos option? I can't see it.

My issue is that I can not choose anything and not the gizmos. I select the terrain option and the result is empty.

issue.jpg

Edited by Ryan

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

My issue is that I can not choose anything and not the gizmos. I select the terrain option and the result is empty.

issue.jpg

So just to clarify, when you select the 'Terrain' extension, it doesn't stay in that 'None' slot? 

Could you please elaborate on the problem and how to replicate it.

• Solution

Try dragging and dropping the file into the 'Attach Extensions' box. Maybe the editor could be bugged? I had this problem before.

The 'Carve' file can be found in: Procedural Worlds / GeNa / Extensions / Carve
image.png.b9ace10da16305a12d3f7420ddbcdd63.png