Terrain is really dark when I have normal maps on it

Steen

Hi I am using pretty much the standard setup, trying to make a custom biome. I have added textures and I am liking their look but the lighting is all messed up, havent touched it at all. When adding a normal map the areas of the map facing away from the sun are incredibly dark. and the entire texture has a shinyness to at the same time. I have been playing with a lot of settings to fix this but no luck yet.

If I set the normal map to "Create from greyscale" then I get none of the darkness issue but then there is no difference between facing away or towards the sun, which is also not what I want.

As for the shininess in the middle it was really bad when I had the texture, not normal map, set to 'Alpha source' -> 'From Gray Scale' so I set it to 'Input from alpha texture' or 'none' and now it looks like this screen, better, but still has a shine to it in the middle.

The terrain is using the Default-Terrain-Standard material, and using the Default-Material-Diffuse doesnt seem to help much either.

I could really use some help, but it seems there a very few people answering question on this forum.

spacer.png

Seems I could mitigate the darkness issue with going to Windows -> lighting -> Environment -> Envionrment lighting an setting them all to White instead of the darker colors that are there by default.

Still have the shinyness issue.

Have you tried applying one of the preset biomes? What does that look like when you apply it? 
Have you tried changing the lighting profile to another tod?