Potential Duplication of Memory Usage

EnigmaFactory
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hello!

We have been profiling more aggressively, and are concerned with these raw data arrays. These never seem to leave memory and they are each the same size as an audio track. We are already concerned about the memory usage and looking into adding Addressables, but this seems a bit egregious. Can this be explained?

Thank you!

spacer.png

Currently, this is intensional. 
Unity doesn't allow the ability to read the actual audio data from the audio thread. 
It has to be called from the main thread. 

We will look into this in the future to see if there is more we can do with this. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for getting back to me! 

As you can imagine this is fairly severe and imperils our ability to use Ambient Sounds moving through production. We'd love to resolve this last remaining complication for use and / or via implementation of Addressables.

Thank you and the team for all your hard work!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys! Wanted to bump this. Saw the recent update with performance improvements I was happy to install today and am looking forward to profiling. I was hoping it might mean we could get an update on the memory duplication and / or addressable efforts, if they are alive and if not, what chances are we see it addressed by end of year.

Thank you kindly!

Currently, we are in full production on our new tech, I believe everything else besides the new Gaia is getting released before then. 

Ambient Sounds and the rest of our tools will come after that. 
So I don't have a current eta at the moment. 

• 4 weeks later...

Understandable, but super disappointing. Such a great asset I'm likely to be forced to rip out. More per frame GC: 

spacer.png

• 3 months later...

Hi @Bryan!

Can you confirm it's just time to rip out and disregard this asset?

Continues to be unacceptable and still no action after my patient requests. I'm about to update reviews so people understand that this product is not usable in its current state.

Thanks!

The problem is again this is more of a Unity issue than our issue. 
I can check back in with the guys to see maybe if the newer versions of Unity they have fixed this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey man! Sorry, not trying to disregard your answer, but I just can't qualify it. Like yes, in this narrow specific implementation that you guys created for yourself you are 3x loading the audio. It's not "Unity 3x loads all audio" it's "Our Ambient Sounds system implementation relies on something that causes Unity to 3x all audio" 

Spent the weekend writing up a home roll. Fully addressable. 0 duplication of memory into arrays, no GC noise, all 100% addressable only the playing tracks. Really think Addressables could be brought to AS with a weeks effort and the asset would be back to useable.

• Solution

Thank you for the update, we will look into seeing if its possible to add in from our side. 

• Thanks 1