Gaia Player modifying hierarchy - Directional Light

mroshaw

Hi! I know there has been some chat in the Gaia Discord about Gaia Player having a tendency to manipulate the scene hierarchy, in particular moving, modifying and in some cases destroying the "Main Camera" game object. This has created for me a number of issues that have distracted me from building my biomes and game.

I have had another instance, this time with the Directional Light that is created by Enviro. I assume this would happen with other instances where the user creates or uses their own Directional Light, outside of that created by the Gaia Player.

In this instance I had de-activated the Gaia Lighting GO, as I use Enviro for lighting, weather etc. Somehow within the editor, the Gaia Player code took the Enviro Directional Light from the root of the hierarchy and moved it as a child of the Gaia Lighting GO. As this GO is inactive in my scene, it effectively broke the lighting. As Gaia moved the GO from the root, it wasn't immediately obvious what had happened.

If this could be added to a broader change request for Gaia, please, to ask that Gaia does not modify the hierarchy unless the user is specifically asked to confirm changes.

Thank you!

• Unity 2021.2.6f1
  • HDRP 12.1.2
  • Gaia Pro 2021 3.1.3

I would suggest you take a look at the settings for the Default Lighting GO first and not disable it. There are settings for both lighting and weather in there that will allow you to choose what is what and whose using what.  Sounds to me like there is a conflict so Gaia is just doing what it thinks it needs to based off of the settings. 

I can't speak personally of this as I'm still using the default Gaia Sky and Weather (actually like it a little more than Enviro. ;- for the most part).  But just thinking while reading your post this was the first thing that came to mind.. Might be totally wrong, but thought I'd share.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, mroshaw said:

Hi! I know there has been some chat in the Gaia Discord about Gaia Player having a tendency to manipulate the scene hierarchy, in particular moving, modifying and in some cases destroying the "Main Camera" game object. This has created for me a number of issues that have distracted me from building my biomes and game.

I have had another instance, this time with the Directional Light that is created by Enviro. I assume this would happen with other instances where the user creates or uses their own Directional Light, outside of that created by the Gaia Player.

In this instance I had de-activated the Gaia Lighting GO, as I use Enviro for lighting, weather etc. Somehow within the editor, the Gaia Player code took the Enviro Directional Light from the root of the hierarchy and moved it as a child of the Gaia Lighting GO. As this GO is inactive in my scene, it effectively broke the lighting. As Gaia moved the GO from the root, it wasn't immediately obvious what had happened.

If this could be added to a broader change request for Gaia, please, to ask that Gaia does not modify the hierarchy unless the user is specifically asked to confirm changes.

Thank you!

• Unity 2021.2.6f1
  • HDRP 12.1.2
  • Gaia Pro 2021 3.1.3

If you are using Enviro for lighting you would want to set the Gaia Lighting to none in the Gaia Manager - runtime. 
This shouldn't mess with your enviro lighting. 

If you are using the Gaia Player - this would adjust the player camera but this is quite hard to combat. 
Most character controllers use the Main Camera.

@peter maybe some suggestions here or extra notes to add?

In all cases I've configured the Gaia Runtime with Lighting set to "None" via Gaia Manager, but Gaia still messes with the Directional Light whenever I update the runtime.