How to create imposter terrains for a small selection of that are part of a larger map.

namusanga
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

I was wandering how I can make imposter terrains for a small group of terrains that are part of a larger group. This is because my computer crashed while I was generating imposter terrains for the whole map using the generator in the terrain loader, so I have 4096 terrains and it has finished 2816 of them, I don't want to start the process from scratch again so I wanted to make a selection of the terrains it hasn't done so far and tell it to generate imposters for only those ones.

Also, I think there might be some kind of setup process for using the imposter terrain even after it's been made which i don't know about, I was wandering if you could me to where I can read about it or on how to do it if it's not documented anywhere, I want to use the imposter terrains in the terrain loader

• Solution
On 1/1/2022 at 3:49 PM, namusanga said:

I was wandering how I can make imposter terrains for a small group of terrains that are part of a larger group. This is because my computer crashed while I was generating imposter terrains for the whole map using the generator in the terrain loader, so I have 4096 terrains and it has finished 2816 of them, I don't want to start the process from scratch again so I wanted to make a selection of the terrains it hasn't done so far and tell it to generate imposters for only those ones.

Sadly we do not have an ability to do groups, its currently only single or all. 

On 1/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, namusanga said:

Also, I think there might be some kind of setup process for using the imposter terrain even after it's been made which i don't know about, I was wandering if you could me to where I can read about it or on how to do it if it's not documented anywhere, I want to use the imposter terrains in the terrain loader

There isnt really anything you need to do after the imposters are created other than making sure they are included in the build settings. 

Alright thanks @Bryan, how does the terrain loader know that a certain scene is an imposter scene? Do I need to give the imposter scenes a specific name or assign them to a specific list or something? Whenever I try to create imposters for all scenes in my game the unity engine crashes, obviously this is because of something resource related, my pc has 16gb ram. I would want to overcome this by finding some other way to create the imposter terrains myself, and be able to do it in chunks, even if they're all pretty much flat, as long the player doesn't just see space in the distance I'll be glad, alternatively, I could export the heightmap of the terrains to a different program and use it to generate a very low poly terrain, which I can then import and split into separate scenes using some editor scripting but before I can do that I need to know how Gaia knows that a scene is an imposter scene for another scene.

Edited by namusanga

When you create imposters it should automatically be set in the Terrain loader.
For a quick test all I did was unload all. Then I loaded all imposters, however, there is a warning just in case its too much you wouldnt want to do this. 
image.png

Additionally you can see now in the hierarchy, all the imposter scenes are loaded in along with the imposter terrains. 
I also noted that the build settings automatically have the imposters added as well.