Gaia pro 2021 Grass

f8f82009
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi @f8f82009, I assume you are using Flora for the grass rendering? We did have a similar bug with Flora when it was released, but this was fixed at some point & was never as bad as shown in your video. This might be an issue in the newer unity versions we are not yet aware of. We will try to reproduce this from our side, could you please also tell us which render pipeline you are using? 
As a workaround for the meantime, you could also consider to use unity's own instanced grass rendering system (see "use GPU instancing"). You can use this system through Gaia by de-activating Flora and activating the GPU instancing checkbox in the resource settings of the grass spawner:

image.png

You would need to make sure that you use a shader that supports GPU instancing on the prefab, e.g. the unity standard shader. This might be a viable workaround until we find the cause for this.

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hi @f8f82009, I assume you are using Flora for the grass rendering? We did have a similar bug with Flora when it was released, but this was fixed at some point & was never as bad as shown in your video. This might be an issue in the newer unity versions we are not yet aware of. We will try to reproduce this from our side, could you please also tell us which render pipeline you are using? 
As a workaround for the meantime, you could also consider to use unity's own instanced grass rendering system (see "use GPU instancing"). You can use this system through Gaia by de-activating Flora and activating the GPU instancing checkbox in the resource settings of the grass spawner:

الصورة.png

You would need to make sure that you use a shader that supports GPU instancing on the prefab, e.g. the unity standard shader. This might be a viable workaround until we find the cause for this.

Hi Peter
Yes, I use Flora.
And the pipeline used by "URP"

I also faced the same problem in Unity 2021

I really like Flora's system

I will use Plan B until this is fixed

• Solution

Hi @f8f82009, we were able to reproduce the issue, there was a problem inside Floras internal culling system where it would deem vegetation cells not being visible for 1-2 frames under certain camera angles. We developed a fix for this issue, please find attached a patch that should help mitigate the issue when you install it.

FloraCellFlickeringPatch.zip

You can install the patch by unzipping the .unitypackage inside the zip file, and then select 
Assets > Import Package > Custom Package
inside the Unity Editor.

After the installation, please check the settings on your Flora vegetation items, there are two new settings for "Bounds Height Multiplier" and "Padding":

image.png

The bounds height multiplier increases the cell height for the visibility check, padding adds some extra space to it so it is not culled that easily. I would recommend to set these to 1 and 10 for your vegetation, this fixed the issue in our test scene where we reproduced the problem.

If this fixes the issue for you, we will roll out this patch with the next Gaia update for everyone.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, Peter said:

Hi @f8f82009, we were able to reproduce the issue, there was a problem inside Floras internal culling system where it would deem vegetation cells not being visible for 1-2 frames under certain camera angles. We developed a fix for this issue, please find attached a patch that should help mitigate the issue when you install it.

FloraCellFlickeringPatch.zip

You can install the patch by unzipping the .unitypackage inside the zip file, and then select 
Assets > Import Package > Custom Package
inside the Unity Editor.

After the installation, please check the settings on your Flora vegetation items, there are two new settings for "Bounds Height Multiplier" and "Padding":

image.png

The bounds height multiplier increases the cell height for the visibility check, padding adds some extra space to it so it is not culled that easily. I would recommend to set these to 1 and 10 for your vegetation, this fixed the issue in our test scene where we reproduced the problem.

If this fixes the issue for you, we will roll out this patch with the next Gaia update for everyone.

This reform is successful Thank you for your cooperation

• Like 1