Contour-following mask, or workaround?

jpileborg

I have managed to get a terrain that I'm happy with, with a mountain range in the middle that divides the continent into a north and a south part. Now I want different biomes for the south and north side, as well for the actual mountain range.

Is there a mask, or a set of masks, that can follow the contour of the mountain range? Or do I have to export the terrain as a height-map (or similar) to manually cut away parts to create three images masks (one for each biome)?

If there's no suitable set of masks currently, perhaps something liket his might be a good idea for a future release? 😉

It's not uncommon for different climates on different sides of mountains.

On 1/28/2023 at 7:16 AM, jpileborg said:

I have managed to get a terrain that I'm happy with, with a mountain range in the middle that divides the continent into a north and a south part. Now I want different biomes for the south and north side, as well for the actual mountain range.

Is there a mask, or a set of masks, that can follow the contour of the mountain range? Or do I have to export the terrain as a height-map (or similar) to manually cut away parts to create three images masks (one for each biome)?

If there's no suitable set of masks currently, perhaps something liket his might be a good idea for a future release? 😉

It's not uncommon for different climates on different sides of mountains.

You could use the slope mask along with a distance and heightmask. 
This is typically what I do. 

• Like 1