River issue

zumwaltwood
Go to solution Solved by Adam,

So, I wanted to place a moat around my castle using the River system, I opened GeNa and did the add river and did CTRL-Left click on where I wanted to start it, now I am waiting, and been waiting for over 15 minutes to have it start to build the first node. How long does it take to place the first node of the River? I only really need maybe 12 nodes to connect a moat around the castle and then work on the water depth.

RiverStillWaiting.JPG

After 30 minutes of waiting on that to start, I had to end task on Unity, I guess later on I will have to just do a spline and try to carve the terrain where I want the Moat to be then try to add the river in the carved land to see if it does what I need it to do with placing but to be fair, after starting from scratch I was able to first place a spline, then on that spline added the extension to dig the moat, then added the river extension to add the river, then added the extension to clear trees and objects, this is my end result. Needless to say, learned how to make a moat LOL bloody brilliant, I love these tools when they work 🙂

MainWorldCastle.jpg

• Like 1

Great moat you got going there! 🙂 What does not sound great / correct though is the duration of the river flow click - you should normally see a response within a second or so.... you can see me using this tool in the promo video for the nature spawner pack for example at around 14:50 in the video:

Were there any error messages in the console when you Ctrl+clicked? If it ran into an issue it could be that only the progress bar remained on the screen, but it was not actually doing anything anymore. You made a comment when we talked in the support system about spawner imports taking a long time for you as well, something about 3 hours or so? That does not seem right either, a biome with multiple spawners can take a bit to add but should be done within under a minute usually.
Not trying to create any issues if there aren't any, just wondering if there is something larger at play that makes some features of the tools look like they are broken.

I suspect its Unity 2020 in general, although its the LTS builds and I keep them updated on my machine, I do not think they are too stable at times.  How do i add in the underwater code for the moat like it exists in the ocean surrounding the island? I have tried this several ways using the gaia water script like it exists on the ocean surrounding the island, but no luck thus far.  I now have my characters able to swim in the moat like they swim in the ocean though, so that is taken care of regardless of where the water is in altitude.

• Solution

River flow should not be used for this. It's designed to find paths where a river would flow down hill. Using a spline as you have is the correct approach.

• Like 1