Low FPS while using spawner

Rafal
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi,

I did use searcher and not found answer on my problem. 

I'm new user of GAIA 2021 and got big problem with low frame rate when using spawner.  In play mode i got ~ 30 fps and after build ~50FPS and it's not due to big number of objects but let's start from the beginning.

I'm using nature manufacture assets (but problem appears with your default biomes too)

• terrain 512x512 - 6 texture - 220 fps in edit mode
  • added 6 different trees all around 80 - 120 pcs = total 700 trees -> FPS drop to 45
  • added a bit of grass and other details -> fps drop to 30
  • added even more objects -> fps drop to 25

When i add those trees, grass and details by hand on terrain using default tools (Paint trees etc.) with way bigger number (10 000 trees) + grass + details i got around 90FPS in edit mode. 

What am i missing? Spend 6 hours trying to solve it myself... 

By hand:

90fps, 10 800 batches, 2,7m tris, 3,7m verts, 

By spawner:

20 FPS, 1310 batches, 2,6m tris, 3,5m verts

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand me 🙂

Thanks for help

• Solution

Hi @Rafal, the Gaia terrains are still native unity terrains at the end. In theory a terrain made by Gaia should perform the same compared against a terrain that is built manually within the same visual fidelity. I tried to reproduce this in a first attempt by making a small terrain (512 x 512) with Gaia, running the tree spawner, and then trying to place a similar tree pattern on the terrain by hand and comparing performance.

The trees placed by spawner (default Alpine Meadow biome):

image.png

Manually painted on trees (I tried to roughly match the Triangle / Vertex count of the spawner scene above):

image.png

I'm getting roughly the same performance between the two scenes, so I think there might be something else at play here.  Could you please share some more information about how you perform the comparison? (e.g. do you keep the same terrain between the scenes, or do you create a new one manually as well, etc.)
When you compare the performance between the manual vs. the Gaia scene, do you see more increase on the CPU or the GPU (render thread) timing?
Can you please use the Unity Profiler to compare between the two scenarios? With the profiler it should be possible to get a hint where the performance difference is coming from.

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hi @Rafal, the Gaia terrains are still native unity terrains at the end. In theory a terrain made by Gaia should perform the same compared against a terrain that is built manually within the same visual fidelity. I tried to reproduce this in a first attempt by making a small terrain (512 x 512) with Gaia, running the tree spawner, and then trying to place a similar tree pattern on the terrain by hand and comparing performance.

The trees placed by spawner (default Alpine Meadow biome):

image.png

Manually painted on trees (I tried to roughly match the Triangle / Vertex count of the spawner scene above):

image.png

I'm getting roughly the same performance between the two scenes, so I think there might be something else at play here.  Could you please share some more information about how you perform the comparison? (e.g. do you keep the same terrain between the scenes, or do you create a new one manually as well, etc.)
When you compare the performance between the manual vs. the Gaia scene, do you see more increase on the CPU or the GPU (render thread) timing?
Can you please use the Unity Profiler to compare between the two scenarios? With the profiler it should be possible to get a hint where the performance difference is coming from.

Hello,

I did solve my problem while testing in new scene and figured out that problem is one of my grass prefab - don't know why but nature manufactore gives 2 different grasses - more detailed and less detailed (2 times less triangles) and that one less detailed is the problem - after swiching my grass prefab instantly get 20 - > 100 fps, of course grass is spawed as trees are.

Thanks for answer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1