Stamp Land Masses to Ocean Floor

GambitMonkey
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hello Support,

First off just an opinion, but not being able to attach an image(s) larger than 500KB to a post is annoying. I get it though. As such I have uploaded the screen captures to a Google Folder here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-eXLLabjjTpBjmeI4Uul6XU8yPJzGJgs?usp=sharing

What I am trying to accomplish is something similar to your post 

However I am finding that my Gaia 2021 Pro GUI does not match what is shown in the post dated December 21. I have a lot more options in the mask settings as can been seen in the screen shots above. However I think I get the gist and have been playing with the distance and image masks along with the adaptive base. 

I am still not able to accomplish anything that looks good though. My use case is I have an ocean with a depth of 100 meters and an ocean floor terrain(s) that ranges from 0 to 80 meters. I would now like to stamp in land masses (islands or continents), but I am finding that the stamps can not achieve the height necessary to get above the ocean and make a decent looking land mass. I can raise the stamp, but then it basically just skews the stamp on the Y-axis. I would rather raise the stamp to where the stamp looks good above the water and then have it taper off back to the ocean floor terrain. 

Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

• Like 2

• Solution
7 hours ago, GambitMonkey said:

First off just an opinion, but not being able to attach an image(s) larger than 500KB to a post is annoying. 

We hear you and we raised the limit to 1 MB.

Rgarding your stamper issue: I think there is two fundamental issues:

1. you need to consider how much height difference you want to cover in how much terrain / world space. Here is a MS Paint sketch of a side view, 2 different ways of covering the same height distance, blue is the sea level:

image.png

Method A has only little horizontal area available to cover the height distance, of course the whole island becomes steeper / pointy then. So you might need to consider to make the stamp area larger for less steep inclines, and / or stamping multiple times for a single island / land mass.

Issue 2 is the stamper setup, it looks like you have set up 2 stamp images at the same time which further increases the above problem, the two stamp images will be multiplied with each other which only further increases the problem. Could you please try this setup for stamping the land masses instead:

image.png

Set up a single stamp image in the general part of the stamper, then apply one distance mask with influence set to "Global". The latter will mask the entire operation which pushes the height of the stamp down to 0 at the borders of the stamper. If this "pillow shape" for underwater is a acceptable, then this would be a way to do it with a single stamp. When stamping multiple times, you could use the same setup, but instead raise the stamper not as much each time when stamping so that you get a more natural incline then.
image.png

Here is an example where I stamped 5 times or so under water, then on top of that - more natural shape under water, but more work also.

image.png