Questions on designing a terrain for an Android Racing Game

Ted

Before starting my Android multiplayer racing game, I have several very important questions.  1)  After I design the terrain using GAIA (Not the Pro Version) in Unity, I plan to place a racetrack over the terrain.  Can I delete or erase any trees or foliage that is interfering with the road or track, so I have a clean track?  For the racetrack I plan to use either Road Architect in Unity or Easy Roads 3D Pro.

2)  For my target platform, can I check both Android and I.O.S. , or do I have to create one game for Android and one for I.O.S.?

3) Is there any documentation that specifically covers in detail, using GAIA for designing terrains for android?  Have not found any yet.

4)  Think I know the answer to this question.  The original terrain should be horizontal 9:16.   Correct?

Hey there more than happy to answer your questions. 

On 10/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, Ted said:

1)  After I design the terrain using GAIA (Not the Pro Version) in Unity, I plan to place a racetrack over the terrain.  Can I delete or erase any trees or foliage that is interfering with the road or track, so I have a clean track?  For the racetrack I plan to use either Road Architect in Unity or Easy Roads 3D Pro.

Yes you absolutely can. Gaia utilizes the Unity Terrain System. So we provide a non destructive workflow. At any time you can modify the terrain that you have created. We have multiple customers that use assets like easy roads. In addition as a added bonus if you have GeNa Pro you can use the spline along your desired path after your road is created. This would allow you to carve the terrain, texture the terrain under the road, remove any vegetation, or spawn things along the road. If you do not have GeNa Pro you can still do all these things as well. Just makes this process easier. 

2)  For my target platform, can I check both Android and I.O.S. , or do I have to create one game for Android and one for I.O.S.?

Great question. We have multiple target platform presets. One of these is mobile and VR that is universal on all mobile devices. However, as far as builds are concerned I would look to see what Unity requires along with the SDK's for your target platforms. 

3) Is there any documentation that specifically covers in detail, using GAIA for designing terrains for android?  Have not found any yet.

We do have tips and tricks optimization guide both best practices and utilizing our tools. This was made by one of our talented developers Isaac, which can be found here: 

4)  Think I know the answer to this question.  The original terrain should be horizontal 9:16.   Correct?

As far as aspect ratio is concerned I would recommend looking at the required specs per the mobile devices you are developing for.