Build Size

atmuc

I added GENA to my project and used nothing from GENA. When I built my game those files were added to my game. How can I fix this except by removing GENA?

image.png.5b217b53a56fa40dd47a1004ac7c9420.png

You would need to go through the folders and remove any of the things you are not using. 

Files are in Gena/../Resources folder. Default package import should not contain unnecessary files in Resources folder.

Should I delete Assets\Procedural Worlds\GeNa\Resources folder? Will Gena work without those files?

On 4/23/2024 at 1:40 PM, atmuc said:

Files are in Gena/../Resources folder. Default package import should not contain unnecessary files in Resources folder.

Should I delete Assets\Procedural Worlds\GeNa\Resources folder? Will Gena work without those files?

@Bryan Can you help for this?

On 4/23/2024 at 5:40 AM, atmuc said:

You would just need to make sure your are not deleting scripts or resources that you are using. 
Everything else would be safe to delete. 

@Bryan What I need is; Gena has nothing unnecessary in its Resources folder. I have several assets from the asset store. Few of them have the same problem. When you import that asset store asset to your project, it has the necessary files in its resources folder. You are Gena creator. I don't know what files I don't need. Can you review your asset and remove optional files from resources folders? so build size will not increase with optional files.

I add Gena and Flooded grounds to my empty project. I build an empty scene. build size is 1.71 GB, because of resources folders of your assets. This is not acceptable for me. Your suggestion deleting what I don't use is not for me, because I just add your assets to an empty project and empty scene build size is 1.71 GB. 

You should delete your optional files from the resources folders of your asset. In fact resources folders are dangerous when you don't care of them.

It is not for gaia. Gaia works fine, But I have big (1.71GB) problem with Gena.

I am asking to all Gena Users; is it the same for you, or I did something wrong and it is just my problem?

I will need to talk with the team and see what all can be removed. 

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

I will need to talk with the team and see what all can be removed. 

Great ! Thanks.

Hi @atmuc,

GeNa uses the Resource folder as a means to load in resources for runtime spawning. This ensures that e.g. someone can create a road with GeNa via the API without any road assets being referenced elsewhere first.
While I agree that it is not ideal that it automatically adds assets to the build, this mechanism is easy to understand and built on Unity Standards (resources folder), so this directly works without extra configuration effort or dependencies.
We might revisit this and come up with a better way to handle this, e.g. the user could select which features & palettes they want to use and we copy those into a resources folder on demand, but we currently do not have that logic.

The good news is that it should be relatively simple to keep your build size down: If you do not intend to use the default road and river textures from GeNa, you can delete the Resources\Textures\Road and Resources\Textures\Water folder. This will take away 349 MB of the 358 MB of the Resources folder.
Then you could take a look at the default palette found under
Resources\Prefabs\
This palette object is preconfigured for the spawners that come with GeNa, and I believe this is where the majority of the build size increase is coming from - this object holds references to the prefabs used in the Flooded Grounds package, which means they will be pulled into the build as well. If you do not plan to use the Flooded Grounds package in your build, or only a portion of it, I would recommend to delete this default palette and instead create your own palette based on the spawners you actually use in the project.
If you do not intend to spawn those objects from scratch during runtime, you can place that new palette outside the Resources folder. If you do spawn those objects during runtime, that palette would need to be inside the Resource folder otherwise the prefabs for the spawners would not be included in the build.

Hope this helps with reducing the build size in your project!

Thanks, @Peter, I think this info will help me.

So far I used a few level designer/spawner assets. All of them are design-time tools. So their palette is for design-time and they will increase build size as much as you use something from the palette. When you design as "to use one item causes adding whole palette dependencies to build" is a problem. I want to build my palettes like a library so I don't want to limit them. I see Gena supports runtime spawning too, which I don't need. There should be design time and runtime separation.

I hope you can solve this problem with your great tool.