Too Dark During Night Day Transitions

Diggidy
Go to solution Solved by Diggidy,

• 2 weeks later...

The TOD in Gaia will not receive any new updates as the Time of day system is now a seperate product and there will be a new update for the standalone version dropping soon that has a tone of new features, fixes, improvements including the dark transitions as we have now moved to more physical based and physical camera exposure setup.

Josh

1 hour ago, Diggidy said:

So I have to pay for it now?

For the future updates of the product yes as it has been made a standalone product and all the code that was imbedded into Gaia version is now rewritten and reworked. We provided a simple free version in Gaia as per promised by the team.

The new version is a completely different and has far more features and improvements from the free version in Gaia.

For the version in Gaia it's hard to remove that dark transition because of how it was made and settings setup you can try edit the fixed exposure curve in advanced lighting panel in TOD to try make it a bit brighter to hopefully help the transition. Sadly this is all the help i can offerer in this matter as all the improvements has gone into the standalone product version.

Being a subscriber on here gets you everything. All our products, packages, betas and new products we release. And this is a far cheaper option and save you lots of money in the long run if you are a frequent user of our products.

Josh

I am a frequent user of your products and the support here is top notch. That is why I am shocked that Procedural Worlds would commit the ultimate no no in software development, give a customer a feature, then take said feature away and make them pay for it.

Hi @Diggidy, it might have been lost in translation above, but at no point did we remove a feature from the embedded time of day system in Gaia to put it in the standalone version. The standalone version is more evolved as the embedded one by now,  that is correct, but there was no feature that was included in the embedded version first initially and then later taken out.

We plan to include the standalone version of the HDRP Time of Day as an upgrade path for the next Gaia Pro release cycle, so that you will receive the standalone version automatically when you own Gaia Pro. 

Hi @Diggidy we looked further into the behavior of the Time Of Day system we made an alternative HDRP TOD profile for Gaia with brighter transitions between day and night, please find it attached to this reply. You can install it by importing the unitypackage in this zip file (Assets > Import Package > Custom Package...)  and then dragging and dropping the profile into the slot on top of the Time of Day system:

image.png

Please note that due to the higher exposure during the transition phase it is more visible on the clouds when the sun switches over to the moon night source and vice versa since the light is coming from a different angle then.

You can further customize the brightness during the night by adjusting the "General Exposure" curve found under the Advanced Lighting settings, hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying the standalone HDRP ToD when it was on sale, thinking the support would end for the one included with Gaia Pro. With that said, the profile you linked here does not work with the standalone version. 

On 11/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, Diggidy said:

I ended up buying the standalone HDRP ToD when it was on sale, thinking the support would end for the one included with Gaia Pro. With that said, the profile you linked here does not work with the standalone version. 

I new update is coming soon that does address this and helps the transition quite a bit. Given it's phyiscally based with the light source very low on the horizon it still will be a bit dark but some probe and lighting system does improve this greatly.

Cool! This makes sense why everything is so dark for me. It's a wilderness game that takes places hundreds of years ago, so the only lighting would be sun, moon and fire. 

I'll have to add some kind of hack for the transitions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

When can we expect an update for the standalone TOD? 

The completely dark transition between night and day renders the asset useless for games with day/night cycle. 

• 4 months later...
  • Solution

For anyone else that is having this problem...
1.2.0 introduced a few new features to help with the transitions but what I ended up doing was adding a 3rd light for transitions. Very soft light with no shadows and had it turn on and off just before and after sun/moon setting.