Stamper

MetalDevil25
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

So I was wondering if there is a way to stamp with textures with the stamper? It doesn't seem to be stamping with textures. Or is the only way really to spawn world with textures enabled with the alpine meadow spawner for example? I'm trying to avoid that so it doesn't undo some of the texturing work I've done. I\ve reviewed a youtube tutorial on how to use the stamper from procedural worlds, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

This stamper was with a mountain stamp image it only gives me the shape of the mountain, but does not include the textures.

spacer.png

Sweet, I was hoping there was. Thank you so much.

part of the city you are seeing I have painted on some custom textures using the gaia paint texture tool. I like this method because of how much more natural it looks and blends with other textures, and avoids seams that make it look obvious.

So if your method will allow me to use the stamper with textures on the stamper, that would save me a lot of stress.

spacer.png

• Solution

ok so... 

In order for you to use the biome when you stamp its actually quite simple. 
If you made a custom biome you would need to use the advanced settings at the bottom of the biome and save it. 
This will turn it into a .asset file. 

You would need to say how the biome settings are applied. 

For example, if you click on the alpine meadow.asset file you will see a bunch of settings (S B and P). 
S enabled = Active in stamper, B = Active in Biome Controller, P = Auto-add Prototypes. 

The S = Active in Stamper, This is what you need when you use the stamper.
Now this only works in the stamper area. You will still need to spawn the whole biome after its finished. 
Otherwise, you will have some weirdness with the textures (most times) 

Also looking at your picture you are using more than 8 textures which can also lead to problems if you are not using a terrain shader so please keep that in mind. 

image.png

• Thanks 1

I see. I will see if this works...

I'm pretty new to Unity and scripting/coding so there's a lot i don't know. Not sure how i would go about adding another terrain shader to make sure theres no problems with more than 8 textures. But im sure theres some online tutorials somewhere

The game we are creating is going to be very large and open world, with different types of terrains/areas. So we are pretty ambitious with the ideas we have. Alpine meadow is only a start since we decided to take advantage of some of those premade biomes.

I would take a look at things like GTS etc. on the Unity asset store. Just go through the terrain shaders and see what supports more than 8 textures. 

However, in the case of large worlds you would want to do a Multi-terrain setup. 
As the texture limit is per terrain (not per scene). 

Gaia allows you to do world streaming, so that's where I would start.