Gaia undoing all HDRP Time of Day configuration

mroshaw

Hi again!

I'm using the standalone HDRP ToD along with Gaia Pro 2021. Both latest versions.

If you setup HDRP Time of Day in with Gaia, all is well. If you go into "Gaia Lighting" and click on "Light and Reflection Probe Settings", instead of taking you to those settings, or expanding the editor window, the whole HDRP Time of Day config is recreated. That means all configuration of HDRP Time of Day is lost.

It's incredibly frustrating, as now and again I forget, click the settings and it literally undoes everything I've configured in HDRP ToD. There's literally no way to stop it, either, once it's been triggered.

It would be great to see if you see the same behaviour and, if so, fix this in a coming release.

Regards,

Oli

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Bryan, hope you're good!

Sorry to ask this, as I know it's never fun, but do you have any ETA on the next version of HDRP ToD?

I'm quite keen for this particular issue to be fixed, if it's a bug. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bryan!

So, this has been driving me nuts. Twice now this week, HDRP ToD has decided to overwrite my settings, and force me to go back and redo all of my configuration.

That said, I think I've found the root of the problem, so wanted to share.

I have Gaia 2021 Pro installed, along with GeNa Pro and HDRP Time of Day. When I enable HDRP Time of Day, the "standalone" version, it seems to want to embed itself into Gaia. So, it creates itself as a Game Object parented to the "Gaia Lighting" game object. It would appear that interacting with the Gaia Lighting component, causes HDRP ToD to re-initialise, and reset a bunch of parameters. This is what's been driving me bonkers. What I did was:

• Remove HDRP ToD using Window > Procedural Worlds > HDRP Time of Day > Remove HDRP Time of Day...
  • Delete the "Gaia Lighting" Game Object
  • Restore HDRP Time Of Day using Window > Procedural Worlds > HDRP Time of Day > Add HDRP Time of Day...

This seems to keep HDRP ToD nice and separate from Gaia, and prevents me from accidentally clicking Gaia Lighting settings, and messing with my HDRP ToD configuration. This also seems to prevent some Volumes and Directional Lights, left hanging over from Gaia Lighting, from interfering with the scene.

Perhaps it's best to keep HDRP ToD separate from Gaia from the UI perspective, and just keep integration at the API level?

Just a thought! 🙂

Regards,

Oli

1 hour ago, mroshaw said:

Hi Bryan!

So, this has been driving me nuts. Twice now this week, HDRP ToD has decided to overwrite my settings, and force me to go back and redo all of my configuration.

That said, I think I've found the root of the problem, so wanted to share.

I have Gaia 2021 Pro installed, along with GeNa Pro and HDRP Time of Day. When I enable HDRP Time of Day, the "standalone" version, it seems to want to embed itself into Gaia. So, it creates itself as a Game Object parented to the "Gaia Lighting" game object. It would appear that interacting with the Gaia Lighting component, causes HDRP ToD to re-initialise, and reset a bunch of parameters. This is what's been driving me bonkers. What I did was:

• Remove HDRP ToD using Window > Procedural Worlds > HDRP Time of Day > Remove HDRP Time of Day...
  • Delete the "Gaia Lighting" Game Object
  • Restore HDRP Time Of Day using Window > Procedural Worlds > HDRP Time of Day > Add HDRP Time of Day...

This seems to keep HDRP ToD nice and separate from Gaia, and prevents me from accidentally clicking Gaia Lighting settings, and messing with my HDRP ToD configuration. This also seems to prevent some Volumes and Directional Lights, left hanging over from Gaia Lighting, from interfering with the scene.

Perhaps it's best to keep HDRP ToD separate from Gaia from the UI perspective, and just keep integration at the API level?

Just a thought! 🙂

Regards,

Oli

Yes i am aware of this issue, this is a gaia issue and not a hdrp tod issue. I am still working on the next version of HDRP TOD to refine some features and balance everything out better. Currently reworking the weather profiles to not modify cloud shape too much as i want to use volume blending in 2022.2 when that comes out of beta as it will offer much better visual blending and performance.

Once i get to a good point with this update i will fix the on change check issue in gaia and send a patch here for you to try.

Josh

Thanks Josh.

By completely removing the "Gaia Lighting" game object, I seem to have prevented the possibility of HDRP ToD trying to re-initialise. I swear it's improved the lighting and performance as well, though I may just be imagining that!