GeNa Pro - Design time / runtime / non destructive terrain generation

Adam

Early sample of mesh based terrain generation. By the time we are done, it will all run both in edit mode and runtime mode, and should be fully deterministic.

Why mesh based ? It's lighter and faster. We can do more with it. Will run on more platforms.

• Like 1

Has not made it to early access yet. But working as you can see. We will probably offer this as a paid plugin to gena pro. It is a significant new capability.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Has not made it to early access yet. But working as you can see. We will probably offer this as a paid plugin to gena pro. It is a significant new capability.

When you say "paid plugin" does that mean it will be included in Pro subscriptions? At the moment Pro includes everything, is it intended that it will do so for future products too?

Edited by Sorra the Orc

35 minutes ago, Sorra the Orc said:

When you say "paid plugin" does that mean it will be included in Pro subscriptions? At the moment Pro includes everything, is it intended that it will do so for future products too?

Talking purely asset store there... old habit. It will be included as part of the pro subscriptions. Pro includes everything we would typically consider for release on the asset store. 

Perfect. I figured that's what you meant, but didn't want to assume. I did check the sub page and found the wording to be ambiguous on the matter. Perhaps change "Latest Pro tools and tutorials" to something like "Current and Future Pro tools and tutorials" (same for basic tools)

will this be able to take a custom mesh? or is entire procedural? meaning, you aren't able to add your own mesh? by looking at it, since it creates a mesh, I cant see why you wouldn't be able.. 

Looks great either way.... this is going to knock peoples socks off..  for sure.

PS: I see it now. looks like you insert a stamp, awesome.... that is even better, so we can add something like our own stamp. (height map.. man this is going to be great. !

I love how you can add it as a spline, but then break it apart to be independent.... that is what really makes it awesome!

Edited by Recon

Ya super excited, something I felt was always missing from Gaia.  So glad, its coming in some form.  I can do so much more with non destructive work flows.  It allows us to be way more creative...and change, when ever we please. 

• 1 month later...

Any chance since it is mesh instead of unity terrain that we would be able to stamp cave entrances, cliff overhangs, or even cave interiors/caverns? 🙂

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, Shawn - Backwoods Gaming said:

Any chance since it is mesh instead of unity terrain that we would be able to stamp cave entrances, cliff overhangs, or even cave interiors/caverns? 🙂

Agreed, this would be a game changer in Unity to have this...  I have yet to see anyone handled it like that, and it should, I have seen it , in Unreal and some in house engines, but Unity is in need of something like this badly.  Over the years some folks have talked about it like Easy Roads, but it was just talk.  

It would be nice for sure for Gena. 

• 1 year later...

Has there been any movement on this?  It has been over 2 years since the initial teaser.

• Tell a friend

Love Canopy - Procedural Worlds? Tell a friend!
  • Need help?

We work with some of the biggest brands in global gaming, automotive, technology, and government to create environments, games, simulations, and product launches for desktop, mobile, and VR.

Our unique expertise and technology enable us to deliver solutions that look and run better at a fraction of the time and cost of a typical project.

Check out some of our non-NDA work in the Gallery, and then Contact Us to accelerate your next project!