HDRP lighting in scene not working correctly with HDRP ToD enabled

mroshaw
Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Hello again! I hope this finds you well, and that you've had an awesome summer!

I continue to tweak and tune my scene, and I've recently started looking to lighting. In particular, I have a number of buildings across the map, and I'm adding in Point Lights to enrich the interiors of these buildings.

I started my scene with the "standard" Gaia lighting (e.g., morning and night profiles). These behaved "as expected", so a candle with "real life" properties looks pretty good:

image.thumb.png.1683cb5149bdd811fcbdf57a9a3f40ff.png

This is based on these values:

Radius: 0.025
Temperature: 1200 kelvin
Range: 10
Intensity: 15 lumens

However, if I enable HDRP Time of Day, I get little to no effect from my point lights:

image.thumb.png.6bed5a5e0ba44447cf9c6d533f7cdd7c.png

In order to get anywhere near the result I see with "standard" Gaia lighting, I have to raise the intensity of the lights to 9,999 lumens for night time scenes, upwards of 99,999 lumens to see the same effect at dawn!

I really don't want to have to do this, as I'd like to stick with the physical and real world properties as much as possible, to retain a natural and realistic feel to the lighting in my scene. I think that's a key element of why folks choose the HDRP, for this very reason.

So I was wondering: is there any way to resolve this in HDRP Time of Day, without applying an unrealistic bump to the intensity? Is there a local volume override, or something we can do with with the Interior Overrides, or the HDRO ToD Volume Overrides?

Many thanks again for your thoughts!

Oli

• Solution
On 9/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, mroshaw said:

Hello again! I hope this finds you well, and that you've had an awesome summer!

I continue to tweak and tune my scene, and I've recently started looking to lighting. In particular, I have a number of buildings across the map, and I'm adding in Point Lights to enrich the interiors of these buildings.

I started my scene with the "standard" Gaia lighting (e.g., morning and night profiles). These behaved "as expected", so a candle with "real life" properties looks pretty good:

image.thumb.png.1683cb5149bdd811fcbdf57a9a3f40ff.png

This is based on these values:

Radius: 0.025
Temperature: 1200 kelvin
Range: 10
Intensity: 15 lumens

However, if I enable HDRP Time of Day, I get little to no effect from my point lights:

image.thumb.png.6bed5a5e0ba44447cf9c6d533f7cdd7c.png

In order to get anywhere near the result I see with "standard" Gaia lighting, I have to raise the intensity of the lights to 9,999 lumens for night time scenes, upwards of 99,999 lumens to see the same effect at dawn!

I really don't want to have to do this, as I'd like to stick with the physical and real world properties as much as possible, to retain a natural and realistic feel to the lighting in my scene. I think that's a key element of why folks choose the HDRP, for this very reason.

So I was wondering: is there any way to resolve this in HDRP Time of Day, without applying an unrealistic bump to the intensity? Is there a local volume override, or something we can do with with the Interior Overrides, or the HDRO ToD Volume Overrides?

Many thanks again for your thoughts!

Oli

Hey this seems to be an issue with the exposure value at night time, i have noticed this issue too and working on improving the night time lighting to use more real world value, system was built to start with on a lower hdrp version before the clouds system and we really had to hack some stuff in but slowly working on removing these hacks to use real world stuff.

Sadly i can't provide a patch for you to fix this now but we are working a lot on improving the system and should have a new version soon with fixes, features and more.

Josh