Blending the seam between two distinct biomes

Bil Simser
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hi guys,

In one of Adam's videos he shows using a distance mask between two biomes and mentions this is how you blend the two together. I'm not getting any good blending with a distance mask between biomes, there's always a seam between the two that is made up of the default texture on the terrain.

So the setup is one terrain with a base texture of dirt, two biomes, one texture per biome (let's say grass and desert). No matter what settings I use there's always a small seam between the grass and desert biome where they meet. Each biome has an image mask to specify where it exists on the terrain and the image mask has hard edges between the biomes, but there doesn't seem to be any option in the biome mask either for falloff or something.

Any tips of ideas would be appreciated.

• Solution
1 hour ago, Bil Simser said:

Hi guys,

In one of Adam's videos he shows using a distance mask between two biomes and mentions this is how you blend the two together. I'm not getting any good blending with a distance mask between biomes, there's always a seam between the two that is made up of the default texture on the terrain.

So the setup is one terrain with a base texture of dirt, two biomes, one texture per biome (let's say grass and desert). No matter what settings I use there's always a small seam between the grass and desert biome where they meet. Each biome has an image mask to specify where it exists on the terrain and the image mask has hard edges between the biomes, but there doesn't seem to be any option in the biome mask either for falloff or something.

Any tips of ideas would be appreciated.

You would want to use a noise mask as well which would break up the seam that you are getting. 
Additionally, you could potentially use GeNa Pro spline and spawn the texture again use a noise mask to spawn it. 

22 minutes ago, Bryan said:

You would want to use a noise mask as well which would break up the seam that you are getting. 
Additionally, you could potentially use GeNa Pro spline and spawn the texture again use a noise mask to spawn it. 

Thanks. I'll take a look at the two options and see what works.