[PLEASE MOVE TO GTS FORUM] Black squares on textures when using GTS - Can fix issue but comes back on save

h2hjastermereel
Go to solution Solved by h2hjastermereel,

• Solution

Note: I have verified that I have ONLY 8 textures per terrain.

I am using the built in GTS profile and not changing anything. After applying the profile I noticed these little black squares on ground textures (in 3 of my 4 terrain scenes). I dug into my terrains to see what was different and noticed that in the terrains with the black squares it seems the GTS profile was not applied (the shader material preview is black (the control0 and control1 textures are pure black!) - using GTS built in HDRP shader). After applying to each terrain it was fixed and the control0 and control1 textures were created properly. BUT - as soon as I save they revert back to black textures and therefore show the black squares. Lot's of pics attached.

2 - after_applying_GTS_profile.png

1 - before_applying_GTS_profile.png

3 - after_saving.png

Not sure if this is related or not, but I do see this error in the console:

"Asset import failed, "Assets/Procedural Worlds/GTS/Shaders/HDRP/GTS_HDRP.shadergraph" > NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEditor.Rendering.HighDefinition.ShaderGraph.HDSubTarget.GetMetadataObject (UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.GraphDataReadOnly graph) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.7/Editor/Material/ShaderGraph/HDSubTarget.cs:75)
UnityEditor.Rendering.HighDefinition.ShaderGraph.HDTarget.GetMetadataObject (UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.GraphDataReadOnly graph) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.1.7/Editor/Material/ShaderGraph/HDTarget.cs:249)
UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.ShaderGraphImporter.OnImportAsset (UnityEditor.AssetImporters.AssetImportContext ctx) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.shadergraph@12.1.7/Editor/Importers/ShaderGraphImporter.cs:209)
UnityEditor.AssetImporters.ScriptedImporter.GenerateAssetData (UnityEditor.AssetImporters.AssetImportContext ctx) (at <0d6ce211ebbc47e1a35a84c3672ff58f>:0)"

SOLUTION: Found here: 

Basically I had to delete the folders and recreate the GTS materials. It would work for one, then another until I finally had them all fixed and saved.

• h2hjastermereel changed the title to [PLEASE MOVE TO GTS FORUM] Black squares on textures when using GTS - Can fix issue but comes back on save