Just terrain generation

DrMeatball
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Pre-Apologies if this is probably something simple.. what is the best way to use Gaia for just terrain generation? IE, I'd rather not use any of the built-in cameras nor any of the auto-texturing/object placement options. They are great features, I just would prefer to do all of the hardwork myself 😄

4 hours ago, DrMeatball said:

Pre-Apologies if this is probably something simple.. what is the best way to use Gaia for just terrain generation? IE, I'd rather not use any of the built-in cameras nor any of the auto-texturing/object placement options. They are great features, I just would prefer to do all of the hardwork myself 😄

I do this myself, since GAIA 1, and use Gena and other tools, so best way is to just set up with none for character.  make sure to remove anything GAIA adds, or make sure to NOT add it.. if you do by accident.  Be sure to not add lighting, PP and so on.  just do general. set up. in Gaia, and use the stamp part, set BIOME to custom. ( cant remember if there is none. ( sorry I do by muscle memory.)  I believe its only custom, so that won't make anything, unless you tell it to.

.  You can export the raw/height map out.  I do this and make a new project, and use just the height map. 

If you just stay in mostly the general tab, to make your terrain, to your settings, based on the height map and stamper only that is pretty much all you need.  You can export in Advance settings, or use Unity export, both ways work.

In the terrain loader, just use that to make your map, for performance, to turn things on and off, which you can load or unload. you can just use that for making of the terrain only to help with performance .  ( you can load, or unload, tiles, if you plan to use them. if you don't split your terrains, then don't worry about it... but its nice if you are working on a larger map.

Edited by Recon

• Solution
8 hours ago, DrMeatball said:

As Recon said you can set everything to none. 

Additionally, you could make a Gaia Scripts only package. 
Then you can import that package to any Unity project that is within the correct versions for the product. 

To simplify you could potentially remove Gaia from the project and then just import the Gaia Scripts only package. 
You would want to save the Gaia Script package somewhere outside of the project before removing Gaia from the project. 

11 hours ago, DrMeatball said:

You do not need to run the biome texturing step and you can disable this in the stamper.

You also do not need to do the runtime creation step. To not do it, just don't click it 🙂