Gaia initial scene startup performance questions

chiken

I have a scene setup with Gaia and Gena, and I have some questions regarding the performance of how Gaia is loaded in during the first frame of the scene.

With deep profiling turned on, I see a few issues;

1) I noticed in GaiaGlobal.Start, it is calling GameObject.Find with a time ms of 17.60. How do I get rid of this method call at the start or do I have to edit the script myself for this?

2) If I don't use gaia's lighting and water system, how do I get rid of them in my scene?

Will it be ok if I remove the GaiaGlobal script if I don't use the lightning and water system from gaia to optimize performance?

12 hours ago, chiken said:

1) I noticed in GaiaGlobal.Start, it is calling GameObject.Find with a time ms of 17.60. How do I get rid of this method call at the start or do I have to edit the script myself for this?

This one I have to ask about. 

12 hours ago, chiken said:

2) If I don't use gaia's lighting and water system, how do I get rid of them in my scene?

For this you would need to set the Gaia Manager - Runtime - Lighting and water to none. 

Hi @chiken, I checked the issue described as 1), and I found that this is an oversight / bug in Gaia: The GameObject.Find seems to be called if GaiaGlobal does not have a reference to the moon light in the scene. This would be fine as normally it should have that reference already when the dynamic procedural worlds sky is being used - however if you are not using that sky system (or do not intend to use Gaia Lighting at all), it will still look up that non-existing moon light every time on startup.
Please find attached a fix for this issue, we will include this in future updates of Gaia as well. You can install this fix by unzipping the unitypackage, and installing it via Assets > Import Package > Custom Package... in the unity editor.

GaiaGlobalFix.zip

On 8/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, Bryan said:

This one I have to ask about. 

For this you would need to set the Gaia Manager - Runtime - Lighting and water to none. 

If I set Gaia Manager - Runtime Lightning and Water to none, I get two unintended behaviors

1) Setting lighting system mode to None causes "Gaia Runtime" to create a child gameobject called "Gaia Lightning" and my directional light gets moved to become a child of that. 

2) Setting water system system mode to None causes "Gaia Runtime" to create a child gameobject called "Gaia Water" with a GaiaSceneWater script attached to it.

It seems to be a weird behavior if I do not want to use those systems and it's still creating / moving things in my scene

Hi @chiken, I checked the issue described as 1), and I found that this is an oversight / bug in Gaia: The GameObject.Find seems to be called if GaiaGlobal does not have a reference to the moon light in the scene. This would be fine as normally it should have that reference already when the dynamic procedural worlds sky is being used - however if you are not using that sky system (or do not intend to use Gaia Lighting at all), it will still look up that non-existing moon light every time on startup.
Please find attached a fix for this issue, we will include this in future updates of Gaia as well. You can install this fix by unzipping the unitypackage, and installing it via Assets > Import Package > Custom Package... in the unity editor.

Ok thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 12:32 AM, chiken said:

If I set Gaia Manager - Runtime Lightning and Water to none, I get two unintended behaviors

1) Setting lighting system mode to None causes "Gaia Runtime" to create a child gameobject called "Gaia Lightning" and my directional light gets moved to become a child of that. 

2) Setting water system system mode to None causes "Gaia Runtime" to create a child gameobject called "Gaia Water" with a GaiaSceneWater script attached to it.

It seems to be a weird behavior if I do not want to use those systems and it's still creating / moving things in my scene

Ok thanks.

Any updates on this?