Gaia Pro 2023 crashes

DrMeatball

I'm not trying to be a problem, I'm just trying to figure out what my expectations should be.

How stable is Gaia Pro 2023? I used to have a lot of the swapchain crashes when doing world gen with LTS 2021, Pro 2021 and DX11, but Gaia itself seemed to be pretty solid. I'm now using 2022 LTS and 2023 Pro 4.0.7 with DX12 (to avoid the swap chain crashes) and it seems like 2023 is even less stable than 2021 with swap chain crashes. I can't do more than 4 or 5 stamp randomizations before the entire Unity Editor shuts down. I relaunch the editor and everything is gone, even my custom window Layout.

My system is not overlocked, fully memtest'd, up to date drivers, a very recent reformat of Windows 11. Hardware is AMD 7950x, 192GB ram, 7900XTX, etc. It's a workstation and I focus on stability, again not overclocking bragging points (nothing wrong with that, just not my priority).

I've only been doing HDRP because of a non-PW character asset requiring it, but I'm thinking about abandoning that and going back to either BiRP or URP, especially if those prove to be more stable.

Are there any logs I can recover from a crash like this? The Unity crash dialog doesn't even appear.

Any tips or suggestions?

*edit* re-read and it wasn't clear.. Gaia Pro 2023 crashes aren't swap chain related, I didn't make that clear. Editor just shuts down with no indication of what the crash actually is.

Edited by DrMeatball
clarity

Hi @DrMeatball,

Regarding the swap chain crashes: Those are out of our control unfortunately - we are not able to reliably reproduce them, and if we look at the unity editor log, we can see that this originates at a deeper level that we cannot access with the C# Unity API that we have available for programming our tools. If we were able to reliably reproduce those crashes, we might be able to investigate by trial and error to figure out which order of operations exactly produces those errors, to then potentially come up with a workaround, add an artificial delay, etc. But at the moment it is extremly difficult for us to do so, as we would not know where to put such a fix and how to know if it did anything at all.
The issue does not seem to be tied to a certain hardware either, I had relatively mediocre hardware until recently (GTX 1070) and never experienced it, whereas other users with much more potent hardware would see the error frequently

There are also a lot of threads on the unity forum of users experiencing this where Gaia is not part of the equation as well which indicates it is not just us doing something wrong with the Unity API either.

You probably have seen this post already that goes a bit more into detail about it and also has one suggested fix that might help if you did not try that yet:
https://canopy.procedural-worlds.com/forums/topic/114-d3d11-swapchain-error-fix/?_rid=13

Regarding the other (non-swapchain) related crash: The first thing to check would be the unity editor log immediately after the crash. You can find the location of the Unity Editor logfile here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html 

If you are lucky, the last few lines of the log before it ends give some indication about where the error originated from. If it happens to be a script from Gaia it is a good thing in so far as that it gives us something to dig into then.

Another potential place to check is the Windows application and system log files in the Windows Event viewer - if there are entries that correlate with the crashes that might give some hints too.