Exporting to Blender for use in other engines such as o3de

ProjectHaze

Hi PW, I've been working with O3de lately, and as it allows for FBX and .Blend imports , I wanted to know if Gaia will work with it. 

https://www.o3de.org/

For now, I'd love to create terranes, export them to Blender and open them in which ever engine I chose. 

5 hours ago, ProjectHaze said:

For now, I'd love to create terranes, export them to Blender and open them in which ever engine I chose. 

With Gaia you can export the terrains to .obj files which you can import to blender and from there you should be able to export to the engine of your choice. Look for the "Terrain Mesh Exporter" under the Advanced tab in the Gaia Manager.
Notice though that game engines may have a native terrain object / solution, Unity has its own terrain object (which Gaia is operating on), o3de seems to have an extension for terrains as well:
https://www.o3de.org/docs/user-guide/gems/reference/environment/terrain/
While you can bring an exported mesh into your target engine, you would need to check if you are missing out on capabilities that that native terrain object has vs. rendering a plain mesh as your terrain. In unity for example the mesh would render faster, but by default you would not get splatmap texturing and rendering of trees and grasses etc.
It might be an alternative to check what that native terrain object takes as input for height, texturing, tree positions etc. and try to import that information over in one way or another.

• Like 1

Thank you so much ! 

Any chance of directly supporting blender down the road? Maybe Gaia could be a standalone application made with Unity ? 

33 minutes ago, ProjectHaze said:

Any chance of directly supporting blender down the road? Maybe Gaia could be a standalone application made with Unity ? 

There is a possibility, yes. Ideally we want to be engine-agnostic in one way or another so that you can bring the results over in any engine you want.