Stamper questions

xDonnervogelx
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

Hi!

I've been trying to change parts of my map that I got from a stamp I made myself ages ago. Is there any way to only influence the parts that are now below sea level to look more like ocean ground? I tried adding some stamps/noise, but they kind of always also influence the parts above sea level. I have little to no knowledge with this tool, so I was hoping someone knows a good tutorial or what I should try exactly in order to achieve that.
Is it also possible to change the terrain size later on without any hassle? Can I simply increase the scale, or is there a better way to do that? I had a lot of lags when I used 1000x1000 units for a test, so I was wondering whether I did it wrong or my device is too old.

Thanks in advance for the help! image.thumb.png.ca9f495261571f3496b2d54a6fa26a46.png

I would use the stamper and also create a height mask and a distance mask. 
The height mask will keep it from going above sea level, and the distance mask would help (not all the way) keep it from above sea level mass. 

Then use your noise mask as well to get some variation in there. 
Try adjusting the strength transforms in the stamper as well this will get you some interesting results. 
You could use the Planes stamps as well something like planes 5 maybe (might get you some good underwater areas). 

Hopefully this helps. 

Increasing the scale of the stamper is not a bad thing no. 
However, 1000x1000 terrains is a lot of world space depending on your tile size. 
Depending on your machine you could see some performance issues on older machines / hardware. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply!
How exactly do you mean to use the stamper in this case? Use the Mask Settings with the mentioned mask types? I'd love to watch a video about this so I know what is going on in detail.

If I want to create a huge scale world map (I'm talking about square kilometer measures, and I believe I did ask this before a year ago), would I use a different approach? Can I slice the map into different parts that get loaded and unloaded when in/out of sight/render range? Last time I tried, my pc kind of died so I wonder what I could do to improve that greatly.
Is there a rough way to measure how strong a pc needs to be to deal with such a kind of map?
I also remember a discussion about a multi biome map and a sort of way to paint the different biomes on the world plane. Are there any pitfalls I could run into when I have a really large map in mind?

• Solution
1 hour ago, xDonnervogelx said:

How exactly do you mean to use the stamper in this case? Use the Mask Settings with the mentioned mask types? I'd love to watch a video about this so I know what is going on in detail.

Yes I would use the stamper and add these masks to it. 

If I want to create a huge scale world map (I'm talking about square kilometer measures, and I believe I did ask this before a year ago), would I use a different approach? Can I slice the map into different parts that get loaded and unloaded when in/out of sight/render range? Last time I tried, my pc kind of died so I wonder what I could do to improve that greatly.

Here I would use Gaia Pro 2021 world streaming. 
This will split the world up into multiple scene and load and unload the terrains. 

Is there a rough way to measure how strong a pc needs to be to deal with such a kind of map?
I also remember a discussion about a multi biome map and a sort of way to paint the different biomes on the world plane. Are there any pitfalls I could run into when I have a really large map in mind?

Really, you just need the minimal Unity requirements. 
However just as an example my pc specs: 
3070 ti 
64 gb ram 
15tb ssd 
I7-12700k 

I did pretty good on my 1070 (but it struggled). 
32 gb ram is good anything lower seems to be a bit struggling (just in Unity for larger worlds) 
Always recommend running things on a ssd (massive difference) 
My CPU did make a huge difference as well I was running an I7-8700 and larger worlds tended to be a bit much. 

• Thanks 1

• Bryan locked this topic