Workflow for creating multiple terrain setup

Respaekt
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi everyone,

lots of library articles and video tutorials. Whats missing for me is 'workflow', how do i create terrain after terrain after terrain.

- Gaia Manager -> Create World -> Create Terrain
- Customize terrain with stamps and masks.... -> "Generate World"

No i have a single or multiple terrains depending on what i created/selected.
Now i want to create another terrain and later maybe connect it to the already existing terrain. Like here:

What now?
How do i create new terrains without overwriting the existing ones in my scene?
Or do i always create new scenes and drag my terrains into a "world" scene where i assamble my map?

Thanks and regards

• Solution

Hi @Respaekt,

since Gaia creates native Unity terrains as output, you can do multiple things to add additional terrains to extend your world: 

• Add another terrain from the scene hierarchy "Create" menu
  • Use Unity's "Neighboring Terrain" system to add new terrain neighbors to existing terrains
  • Re-open the Gaia Manager again to change the world size in the World Creation tab and press the "Update World" button - there are options for how / where you want your existing terrain tiles to be positioned after the update, e.g. if your world size was 3x3 terrains before, you can change it to 5x5 terrains and you can choose where the already existing terrains should be placed in the new setup:

image.png

The magenta-colored boxes represent the position of the existing terrain tiles in the new setup, by dragging the "X-offset" and "Z-offset" sliders in the scene view you can change the position. After hitting the "Update Terrain(s)" button, you will have the new terrains in the scene:

image.png

You would need to edit / connect the newly created terrains with the stamper workflow though - it is not possible to use the world designer to only populate the new, flat areas as it will create a new world every time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

I think what i missed is the "Update Terrains" in the Gaia Manager, after adding a new or existing terrain to the scene. I will try and experiment more when i find the time.

• Like 1