Get better grass performance with Gaia 2023

Saldanha

Hello everybody! I apologize in advance for my English, as it is not my native language... (And also if I am posting in the wrong place)

I recently purchased Gaia Pro 2023 and I am very satisfied and impressed with the power and simplicity of the tool.

However, I am facing a certain problem regarding the performance of the grass.

In this first image, my terrain does not contain grass. It has 140fps and renders about 1.6m triangles:1.thumb.jpg.456cfc8ef005144cfc007c044b681ddf.jpg

When I add the gram, I have a very high loss of performance... About 53fps and 35M rendered triangles. But so far so good...
2.thumb.jpg.db0bc4f2c9131e833f681786c706c86d.jpg

The problem is that even drastically reducing the rendering distance, I still have terrible performance, and also a high triangle count:
3.jpg.321a13cd82fa1d01b71787c4489a7db9.jpg

Very few grams being rendered and the triangle count remains disproportionately high... (80fps and 12.6M triangles)
4.thumb.jpg.6a6b62143e831e60628dae3491ec5178.jpg

I'm definitely doing something wrong...

I also don't know if this is a Gaia or a Unity problem, but it's as if Gaia's Culling isn't working optimally...

Unity 2022.3.12f1
Gaia Pro 2023

Have you enabled GPU Instanced grass? 
Located in the grass tab of the Terrain Details. 
You should be able to click edit grass and make sure grass instance is enabled. 

Otherwise, you could look into options such as GPU instancer etc. 

Grass used to be handled by flora and now its using the Unity Grass system. 
Gaia now simply spawns your grass. 

Yes, the GPU instance is marked, it is even marked by default.
5.jpg.640001ddddc6f6851d9cb96c0e3183d9.jpg

I know Gaia just generates the grass, but shouldn't that do the culling?
6.jpg.c01b09173edbe12bdccb50a5c41d6d98.jpg

This problem that is happening to me is really not what I expected, right? Can anyone test?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @k.czapski, it is to be expected that a lot of triangles are being drawn when you draw a lot of grass. Gaia uses unity's terrain detail system, and you would get the same result if you would draw on the grass manually. When you select the terrain object you can scale up and down the distance and the density of terrain details, the poly count should scale accordingly.

image.png

You can also reduce the terrain detail resolution on the terrain, or adjust the Gaia spawners to spawn less vegetation to begin with.