GTS - pixelated/aliased blending between layers

HobbitOfHobbiton
Go to solution Solved by Isaac,

As entitled, I have some serious struggle with making gts to work. I have one layer used for snow, and since it's white, well...

Is there any way to set this blend to work as intended? For some places I can manually fix blend, but in others like cliff on 3.jpg it's snapped pixel by pixel, below is link showing the issue. I'm using unity 2022.3.12 with HDRP, and latest GTS 1.0.18 in tandem with gaia pro 2021

Photos description:

1 - no gts, default hdrp terrain shader

2 - fresh apply of gts profile

3,4 - result after increasing control map resolution from 1k to 4k, and some height settings tweaking

link to google drive with footage of me trying to manually fix those artifacts

Plz help

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Solution

Hi @HobbitOfHobbiton,

GTS blends the top 4 weights of all the terrain layers per control pixel resolution in order to optimise terrain rendering. This pixelation is often caused by the current area having more than 4 weights blended together at the same time. To fix it you could manually paint over the area with a low opacity of Snow to produce a higher weighted area to get the system back to the top 4 weights, as shown in this video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IjaR2EvwdwYy3Umqx0zQ4rWB6jU14b8N/view?usp=sharing

You could try adjusting the blurDistance value in the GTSIndexSettings script, either up to 0.1 or lower to 0.0001. These settings are used to slightly increase a control texture's weight if it has a very strong weight and no other layer data close to it. 

image.png.252d00d7ee4898ad67dc6b89dbe6ea13.png