Errors when transitioning to a new version of Gaia

Maxim

I was given a Unity project for further development. When transitioning to the new Gaia Pro 3.4.1 from 3.0.1, I encountered the following errors. Can you please advise on how to resolve them?image.thumb.png.34a0b731e38ba61446cad19dca53cc34.png

Also, when pressing the Stamper, it gives the following error, and the function is not working.

image.png.1ed7ee09d0245700584bd8982cac0591.png

Hi @Maxim, I looked into these errors. The first one means it does not find the class "FloraTerrainTile" in your project, however this should be part of the Gaia installation. Can you please check whether you have the file 

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Flora\Scripts\Runtime\FloraTerrainTile.cs in your project?

If you do, you would need to find out why the C# project is not able to find that class.

The other one with the stamper is a bit mysterious, it points at line 2271 in the Gaia Manager Editor, however there is just a closing bracket for me at this position in the code:

image.png

This is also nowhere near the code that would handle the stamper creation. This is worrying a bit in so far as it could mean you have somehow an older version of that file in your installation?

Could you please double click on that error and post a screenshot of that line 2271 on your end and the surrounding code? 

You're right; I indeed don't have that script, but a file with the same name is located in Assets/Procedural World/Flora/Scripts/External. Where can I get this script? When I perform a reimport, it doesn't seem to be found.image.png.db53ef940adccbf8ae7c61feec872417.png

Hi @Maxim, if the file is located in another folder, this might be the issue: The unity package import will recognize if a file sits in a different directory than it originally was, and will update it there.

I think what is going on is: Somewhere between version 3.0.1 and 3.4.1 we did a restructure of the Flora folders, and we asked user to delete the flora folder before the install of the new version. Can you please try to delete the Flora folder, and re-import the Gaia package? You should have the script in the correct location after, and I would expect those scripting errors to be gone also.

That really helped, thank you! Gaia Manager is running, there are no errors in the project, cool! But the Stamper still isn't working 😞 Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Stamper functions? Can I modify an already created biome, refine it using the Stamper?image.thumb.png.c29abe6291a436efcf3bbf7377ddcf18.pngimage.thumb.png.052c9a447d695590c2540a8abead695a.png

Hello @Maxim,

I had a look at this error. I think what is happening is that during the initialization, the stamper usually tries to "collect" all exisiting spawners in the scene so they can be automatically triggered after the stamping. Essentially it is building up this list here:

image.png

From the error it looks like it has an issue with the spawners it found in the already existing scene, probably because there is data missing on them. There is multiple things you can do:

1. You can just create an empty game object, and attach a stamper script to it. 

image.png

Then you made your own stamper manually.

2. I made a small patch that should make the stamper creation from the Gaia manager more robust so that it does not break on the missing data, if you install that into your project the stamper creation from the Gaia manager should work:

Gaia2021SpawnerAddPatch.zip

You can install the included .unitypackage via Assets > Import Package > Custom Package

3. If you do not need the spawners in the scene anymore, you could try to delete the spawners, then create the stamper, I would expect it to work then.

Those 3 methods above are exclusive to each other, so you would need to do only one of those things above. Hope this fixes things for you so you can start working on those terrains.

Cool, the second option worked! Now I can add a Stamper to the scene, that's cool, thanks! But a new error has appeared. It keeps popping up endlessly when the Stamper is active.image.thumb.png.43f1769c3c7c36892595a84bc7b17274.pngimage.thumb.png.d8eb92963ab8083ac88e9326d5db9733.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Maxim sorry to hear that you still have problems - this error reads like you have terrains in the scene where the terrain data object is missing - normally each terrain in the scene should have a terrain data object associated with it. You can check this by putting the inspector in debug mode, and then selecting the terrain(s):

image.png

Can you please check if all the terrains you are trying to stamp on have such a terrain data object associated with them? If not, you would need to assign one, otherwise the stamper would not be able to sculpt the terrain, regardless of that error, since this object is where the heights of the terrains are stored.

The terrain data objects of Gaia created worlds are normally stored inside the Gaia User Data folder in the session that corresponds with the scene.

Thank you so much! Everything is fixed now! It turned out that, besides the Gaia terrains, there were dummy terrains hidden in the project. I don't know who did that, but after removing them, everything worked as it should! Your product is great, thanks!

Thank you for the update! 
Please be sure to leave a review on the Unity asset store if you are enjoying our products and support!