How to prevent terracing

vdeijk
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi, I've been experimenting with various Gaia stamps for my game Mars Commander. Unfortunately, I've run into some issues with terracing: https://ibb.co/Ykd7ppw

What can I do to prevent this? 

The stamps are all standard Gaia Pro stamps. 

• Solution

Hi @vdeijk, I know multiple causes for this issue:

- There is compression being applied to the stamp image (should not be the case by default)
- The target platform changes the stamp image into a format that uses compression and / or lower color depth (should not be the case for MaxOsX)
- The terrain is very high while the stamped mountain is rather low, e.g. the terrain has a max height set to 10.000, and you actually only use 500 meters at the bottom for stamping.

In your case I'm not 100% sure if this is actual terracing, or if the normal map on the texture is creating the impression of there being steps in the terrain - if you switch the scene view to "Shaded Wireframe" can you please check if those steps are real terrain geometry at those spots, or if it actually is rather flat / smooth, but just appears "terracey" from the distance? You could also try to reduce the normal map strength for that texture to be 0 to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter, thanks for your help. After tweaking some settings, I came to the conclusion that it had to do with height differences like you mentioned. In any case, the problem disappeared and has not come back.

• Like 1

• Bryan locked this topic