Texture problem

Bharat Sharma
Go to solution Solved by Bharat Sharma,

Hello 

I'm trying to apply gts on Mountain Environment - Dynamic Nature demo scene. I get very wired results. I created new a Gts profile and applied. Using unity 2021.3.5 HDRP

without gts.png

with gts.png

Might be the blend of those textures or the height of the green one is too high or the other needs to be higher. 

Might help I'm still learning it as well

Hello Broudy,

In the GTS Profile which settings do you have enabled? If you are using Height Blending, the individual heights of each layer can be adjusted in the Texture Layer Settings:

image.png.9c235001edf2785770e462078b2e7a1d.png

Try pushing the Height Increase and Height Brightness up a bit to see if the layer comes through.

Do the original textures have height maps? 

Hi @Bharat Sharma,

do you mean the darker part in the image on the texture? This is most likely the "Detail normal map" setting - it creates the impression of fake heights and lows on the terrain to make it look more detailed & also combat texture tiling. Without Detail normal map:

image.png

With Detail Normal Map:
image.png

Note how the terrain has suddenly all this extra detail which is not real geometry, but created by shading. If that effect is set up too strong, it can become unnatural:

image.png

I could imagine that this is the black shade we see in your screenshot - if not, can you please check what happens if you deactivate all the GTS features one after another to see which is the one that removes the issue?

• Solution
On 7/1/2022 at 12:19 AM, Peter said:

Hi @Bharat Sharma,

do you mean the darker part in the image on the texture? This is most likely the "Detail normal map" setting - it creates the impression of fake heights and lows on the terrain to make it look more detailed & also combat texture tiling. Without Detail normal map:

image.png

With Detail Normal Map:
image.png

Note how the terrain has suddenly all this extra detail which is not real geometry, but created by shading. If that effect is set up too strong, it can become unnatural:

image.png

I could imagine that this is the black shade we see in your screenshot - if not, can you please check what happens if you deactivate all the GTS features one after another to see which is the one that removes the issue?

you need to decrease normal strength from the texture layer in order to decrease overall darkness.

with gts.png