Error on project build outdated HDRP

Go to solution Solved by Jordan,

Hello, not exactly sure if this is a Gaia problem but it seems to be some sort of compatibility issue.

BuildFailedException: Current HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings Assets/Procedural Worlds/Packages - Install/Gaia/Settings/High Definition Pipeline/HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings HD 14.0.7.asset is a non updated asset. Please use HDRP wizard to fix it.
UnityEditor.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRPPreprocessBuild.OnPreprocessBuild (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (a

I've been working on a project for about the last 1.5 years, and updated to unity 2022.3.17f1 about 6 months ago. However, this is the first time I've tried to run the "build" command, hoping to create some exe's to have friends help beta test with me. I have High Definition RP installed and in the package manager I can see that it's version is 14.0.9, with no option to downgrade that I can find, back to 14.0.7 to sync with the HDRP included in the Gaia install. I open the Unity HDRP Wizard and hit fix, and it claims its fixed and asks me to save the project. 

Migrated asset Assets/Procedural Worlds/Packages - Install/Gaia/Settings/High Definition Pipeline/HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings HD 14.0.7.asset. You should save your project to save changes.
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

However, I can't really find any difference that occurred on that, and the issue doesn't go away. No additional errors are logged or anything like that. Yet, when I go to build, the error still remains. With an empty project the error repros for me, once i've imported the Gaia project. Maybe I'm not supposed to have Gaia's HDRP as the direct HDRP set in the graphics section? 

Sorry if I missed something, I dug through tons of forums and didn't really see anything relevant to this. Project runs fine in the editor itself, this only occurs when I go to build it explicitly using the build and run command.

image.png

image.png

image.png

I'm on 14.0.11 and it compiles fine for me. Do you have a volume in your hierarchy using something not compatible? Have you tried running maintenance in the gaia window. I recently updated the 2022.3.34 and everything went well. Are all your assets you might be using with gaia updated as well? Make sure gaia is up to date as well. Let me know if all that is good and I'll continue to help you troubleshoot until someone from proc worlds gets back to you.

Update: What I thought had worked was me opening the wrong test project 😢 same issue still after updating unity and my project to the latest version. Gaia is up to date, I only have Gaia pro. All assets are updated, I'm not quite sure how to check on volumes (sorry pretty new to all this). If theres somewhere I can check lmk where and I'll send screenshots/check it out. Ran maintenance from gaia as well, didnt see any fixes from that. Messing around with the build in HDRP, not sure if its a requirement that I use gaia's provided HDRP.

Jumped back to an editor on 14.0.7 (unity 2022.3.0f1) just to see what would happen, same error, not difference in output even though the alleged HDRP version of 14.0.7 matches the version of the HDRP in that editor.

Screenshot2024-06-27221025.png.9fb5104d131c3203e4eba589b8c581a4.pngScreenshot2024-06-27221013.png.b7f122b977fbd09755ae39e82627079e.png

A volume in your hierarchy would look like this in HDRP. Mine is for Enviro 3, but the principal is the same. You have your main global volume in the HDRP global volume settings in the project settings under graphics, and any other volumes you might have added in your scene hierarchy. If you haven't added any other volumes, then you shouldn't have to worry about that. 

Something you can try as well, create a new project using HDRP using the same unity version as the one that is not working for you and giving you the error. Import gaia pro under that version and click the upgrade to hdrp in the gaia pro manager window. Now, once that is done, find the HDRenderPipelineAsset in that new project and drag it into your other project into a folder. You can then take that pipeline asset and put it where the old one is in your project settings, and see if that works, since gaia pro would have been upgraded to hdrp in that unity version with the new project. Maybe during the unity version upgrade, that pipeline asset got corrupted? I wouldn't suggest to uninstall gaia pro and reinstall because I did that once and it messed so much stuff up that I ended up just restarting (luckily I wasn't too far in the dev phase).

You might try uninstalling HDRP and reinstalling it in the package manager. Before doing any of that, I would make sure to backup your project or make a copy of your entire game dev folder where your project is saved.

On 6/25/2024 at 12:26 AM, Jordan said:

Update: What I thought had worked was me opening the wrong test project 😢 same issue still after updating unity and my project to the latest version. Gaia is up to date, I only have Gaia pro. All assets are updated, I'm not quite sure how to check on volumes (sorry pretty new to all this). If theres somewhere I can check lmk where and I'll send screenshots/check it out. Ran maintenance from gaia as well, didnt see any fixes from that. Messing around with the build in HDRP, not sure if its a requirement that I use gaia's provided HDRP.

What version of Gaia Pro do you have? 

Gaia Pro 2021 or Gaia Pro 2023? 

• Solution

This is on Gaia Pro 2023. What eventually worked for me, is to revert to unity 2022.3.17f1 and uninstall gaia completely. I then went up to 2022.3.34 and then reinstalled. I also shifted my HDRP to the built in HDRP, instead of the gaia HDRP included. Throughout those steps something fixed it, and the game builds and runs now.