Gaia Light Time of Day keeps Removing my Post Processing Layer

madkevop7
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

I'm making a multiplayer game so my Player is spawned at runtime by network manager, as a result I've selected None in Runtime Player in GAIA. But whenever I change the time of day slider, it resets my post processing (removing the post proecssing layer on camera) even though I have turned off enable post processing and modify post processing in main settings, and on Inspector.

Hello, PW team it would be nice that we have an option to access runtime features by valid tags, for setting up custom controller it would help.

17 hours ago, madkevop7 said:

I'm making a multiplayer game so my Player is spawned at runtime by network manager, as a result I've selected None in Runtime Player in GAIA. But whenever I change the time of day slider, it resets my post processing (removing the post proecssing layer on camera) even though I have turned off enable post processing and modify post processing in main settings, and on Inspector.

There is a few things here. 

If you are planning on using any systems that come from Gaia you would need to use one of our players. 
That does mean that you would want to use the Gaia Custom Player and then not assign the Camera and Player. 
This way the Gaia systems will work properly with the character. 

As far as the Post Processing Profile being reset, this we are looking into and will find the cause of this. 
Can you please tell me what Unity version and Gaia Pro version you are using? 

Also the photos that you have sent are not loading. 

5 hours ago, Bharat Sharma said:

Hello, PW team it would be nice that we have an option to access runtime features by valid tags, for setting up custom controller it would help.

Please post this in the suggestions tab. 

15 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If you are planning on using any systems that come from Gaia you would need to use one of our players. 
That does mean that you would want to use the Gaia Custom Player and then not assign the Camera and Player. 

As far as the Post Processing Profile being reset, this we are looking into and will find the cause of this. 

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

when i do not assign it shows red error in the inspector. Im currently selected None, what does that mean in the RuntimePlayer?

18 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Also can you point me to which function sets the Depth of Field setting when exiting back from playmode? My dof setting keeps getting reset when i stop playing in editor.

5 hours ago, madkevop7 said:

when i do not assign it shows red error in the inspector. Im currently selected None, what does that mean in the RuntimePlayer?

No this simply needs to be taken out or change the wording. 
We did this for this reason if the camera needs to be pulled along with the player. 
Just make sure that your camera and player are tagged properly. 
I will note this for the next update as it should have been changed. 

image.png

This should be it, again just make sure that your camera is tagged properly to main camera. 
If I will test this myself and if its an issue this will be fixed! 

• Solution

@madkevop7 I reviewed this issue as well, and there is a way to set up your own Post Processing volume that is not altered by Gaia anymore, it is a bit counter-intuitive to set up though:

To have post processing in the scene, you would need to have post processing enabled in the runtime setup in the Gaia Manager - otherwise we will strip off the post processing layer component on the camera again

Then you would need to disable the post processing setup that Gaia created for you:

image.png

Then you would need to switch changes to the post-processing OFF  in the weather system (because Gaia would find your custom PP volume then and start updating that instead to apply the weather FX)

image.png

Now you should be able to run your own PP volume without the updates from the weather / lighting system affecting it anymore. Could you please let us know if this approach is working for you?

A bit background info why this is so difficult to get right - When using Gaia, the user (rightfully) expects to get good results quick - this is why we for example set up and alter post processing automatically. Even if you do not know how to set up post processing you can get good results out of the box because the required components / objects are created for you automatically. If we would not do / offer this, we would get a lot of questions about why the output of Gaia looks different than the screenshots - and ultimately negative reviews as well.
We found in support that users sometimes would unintentionally "damage" parts of the runtime setup e.g. by putting a different camera in which then would not have the PP layer component on it - this is why we constantly re-add or strip off that component if we find it is not as it is supposed to be according to the Runtime Setup in the Gaia Manager.
Some users want to use their own lighting / water settings, which you can when you switch those systems off entirely. Where it gets interesting is when you have a mixture as in your case - a custom player, using still the Gaia Lighting Time Of Day system but without PP being applied as well. There is then a clash of the "quick-and-easy" auto-setup and the desire of the more experienced user to customize partially. It is not so trivial to cover this is in an automated fashion that still allows full customizability while also wrapping this in a transparent UI where you can tell which parts of the scene will be controlled by Gaia and which won't.

5 hours ago, Peter said:

@madkevop7 I reviewed this issue as well, and there is a way to set up your own Post Processing volume that is not altered by Gaia anymore, it is a bit counter-intuitive to set up though:

To have post processing in the scene, you would need to have post processing enabled in the runtime setup in the Gaia Manager - otherwise we will strip off the post processing layer component on the camera again

Then you would need to disable the post processing setup that Gaia created for you:

image.png

Then you would need to switch changes to the post-processing OFF  in the weather system (because Gaia would find your custom PP volume then and start updating that instead to apply the weather FX)

image.png

Now you should be able to run your own PP volume without the updates from the weather / lighting system affecting it anymore. Could you please let us know if this approach is working for you?

A bit background info why this is so difficult to get right - When using Gaia, the user (rightfully) expects to get good results quick - this is why we for example set up and alter post processing automatically. Even if you do not know how to set up post processing you can get good results out of the box because the required components / objects are created for you automatically. If we would not do / offer this, we would get a lot of questions about why the output of Gaia looks different than the screenshots - and ultimately negative reviews as well.
We found in support that users sometimes would unintentionally "damage" parts of the runtime setup e.g. by putting a different camera in which then would not have the PP layer component on it - this is why we constantly re-add or strip off that component if we find it is not as it is supposed to be according to the Runtime Setup in the Gaia Manager.
Some users want to use their own lighting / water settings, which you can when you switch those systems off entirely. Where it gets interesting is when you have a mixture as in your case - a custom player, using still the Gaia Lighting Time Of Day system but without PP being applied as well. There is then a clash of the "quick-and-easy" auto-setup and the desire of the more experienced user to customize partially. It is not so trivial to cover this is in an automated fashion that still allows full customizability while also wrapping this in a transparent UI where you can tell which parts of the scene will be controlled by Gaia and which won't.

Thanks, I've edited the review and also I just changed Gaia's internal code and modified it to my needs. It took some time but works out now.

• Like 2