Skybox Reflection issues with gaia water

Disto

Hello,
After a couple of tests, and some discussions with Hendrick Haupt from Enviro, I open a ticked because a strange issues on gaia water with skybox reflections.

Basically sometimes, the sun is missaligned on the water reflection (see image 1)
And the enviro support ask me for replacing gaia water with a simple reflective plane, and that seems to work (see image 2)

Could you help me ?

The Unity version is 2020.3.25 and we use BuildinRP with Gaia 3.20.c5. Linear deffered.

Thanks in advance 😌

waterbad reflection.png

goodreflectiveplane.png

On 6/5/2022 at 6:56 AM, Disto said:

The Unity version is 2020.3.25 and we use BuildinRP with Gaia 3.20.c5. Linear deffered.

Is this Gaia Pro 2021 version 3.2.0? 

We did have an extension for Enviro quite some time ago, but it was never revamped. 
We have asked the Enviro Developers if they would like to fix the connection, but without success. 
Now with that we have the information needed to restore the connection which can be found here: 

Typically you would set the skies to none in the current form and then just use the sky system that you would want. 
Make sure that you are using the Gaia Customer player or one of the preset characters. You may need to attached some scripts to the first person camera or third person camera. I cant remember if they use their own character, but if they do you could use the custom player and then attach that to the Gaia Custom Player just assign their controller and camera. 

in the enviro gaia integration, there is that :

#if (GAIA_PRESENT || GAIA_2_PRESENT) && UNITY_EDITOR

#endif

and my project scripting symbols are : (see picture)

The enviro extention is visible in the GaiaManager (but I've nothing to do with it because I've just make the setup manually)
For the GaiaLighting settings, it's set to "3rd party" with EnviroManager instance setted.
For the Player, I'm using the Gaia Flying camera.
In EnviroManager, the Flycam is setted as camera and as playerobject.
And I've set the FloatingPointOriginAnchor to GaiaRuntime object (who contains your FloatingPointFix script) in the enviro manager instance too.

DinoScriptSymb.png

But I'm also realise that I've an error in the console about water:
Is could be related ?

Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 1000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 512 512)
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
Gaia.PWS_WaterSystem:UpdateBuiltInPlanarReflections (Gaia.SceneProfile,bool) (at Assets/DinoVR-Gaia/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Water System/Reflections/PWS_WaterSystem.cs:1769)
Gaia.PWS_WaterSystem:GenerateReflection (Gaia.SceneProfile,bool) (at Assets/DinoVR-Gaia/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Water System/Reflections/PWS_WaterSystem.cs:1641)
Gaia.PWS_WaterSystem:BuildReflection (Gaia.SceneProfile) (at Assets/DinoVR-Gaia/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Water System/Reflections/PWS_WaterSystem.cs:1426)
Gaia.PWS_WaterSystem:OnRenderObjectUpdate (UnityEngine.Camera) (at Assets/DinoVR-Gaia/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Water System/Reflections/PWS_WaterSystem.cs:484)
Gaia.PWS_WaterSystem:OnWillRenderObject () (at Assets/DinoVR-Gaia/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Water System/Reflections/PWS_WaterSystem.cs:257)

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've removed the gaia water because of reflection issue mentioned above when using DayNight cycle other than the buildin (here i'm was using enviro, the reference everywhere)
Also because of another issue: The reflection on water doesn't work really with 360 capture: Because 360 capture uses 6 cameras, the only front camera act for reflection sampling. All the reflections are the same on each other camera/viewpoint (and if you've a tree in front of view on top of a water plane, the tree reflection will be repeated on each other camera) 😞

5 hours ago, Disto said:

So, I've removed the gaia water because of reflection issue mentioned above when using DayNight cycle other than the buildin (here i'm was using enviro, the reference everywhere)
Also because of another issue: The reflection on water doesn't work really with 360 capture: Because 360 capture uses 6 cameras, the only front camera act for reflection sampling. All the reflections are the same on each other camera/viewpoint (and if you've a tree in front of view on top of a water plane, the tree reflection will be repeated on each other camera) 😞

Thank you for the information. 
Maybe we can do something for this in the future to support 360 captures. 
I will notate this for the team. 

Hi bryan, if you need more info about the setup:
As I said, its on gaia pro 2021 (so on top for unity and gaia details) and the first issue appaer only with gaia water with third party lighting (Enviro), and not with standard shader set as reflective material with the same config.

The second issues (reflection only based on forward camera when making 360 capture) with VR Panorama https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/video/vr-panorama-360-pro-renderer-35102 isn't lighting dependent, but it was easyly resolved with any other water shader (here just by using AQUAS-LITE)

And now since our last discussion, the project is now running with gaia Custom Player option.
I'll try to post a screenshot from the 2nd issues and also maybe the current player hierarchy.

Did you leave the Custom player empty? 
Normally it will pick up which camera needs to be active, so that can make sense. 

ah no, I've set the Gameobject parent of the camera into it. (and of course cam in his field too)
Just for be sure, you mean that we don't need to set the Main Player object when choosing custom player type in the Gaya Player script?
If yes, it will change something in comparaison to setup the object manually ? I don't understand what's the deal behind that ? (and if there are one...)

Here is the current setupimage.thumb.png.8ed82b0d96f5bd68204b38ca6c683053.png

On 6/26/2022 at 6:57 AM, Disto said:

ah no, I've set the Gameobject parent of the camera into it. (and of course cam in his field too)
Just for be sure, you mean that we don't need to set the Main Player object when choosing custom player type in the Gaya Player script?
If yes, it will change something in comparaison to setup the object manually ? I don't understand what's the deal behind that ? (and if there are one...)

Here is the current setupimage.thumb.png.8ed82b0d96f5bd68204b38ca6c683053.png

You dont have to actually set the player and camera. 
Gaia should automatically do this for you if the player and camera are tagged as player and camera. 
If you are having issues, then it would be better to set it. If its working already I wouldnt change it.