I'm getting tired of doing islands and craters

aldaluin

I'm looking for suggestions, tutorials, resources, just plain good advice on how to bridge the visual gap between my immediate Gaia terrain and a canned skybox.  I usually use a single terrain, either 1km or 2km on a side, and I'd really like some kind of long big sky vista beyond it.  You know, the look of a big open world without having to deal with the reality of it.  I'm not too proud to put up an invisible collider to keep my player from falling off,  but having them look off into the distance and see the terrain just stop really doesn't appeal to me.  So, any suggestions, tools, techniques or url's would be really helpful.

• Confused 1

So what you could do, is either make the invisible boarders withing the single terrain, so the player never gets to the edge or you could add terrains to your existing focus terrain and turn them into mountains so it looks like the world continues even tho the player cannot seem to get passed the boarders of your focus terrain

• Like 1

Yes, that's sort of what I'm doing now, but its not the look I want.  I want my player to be able to stand near the edge of the playable map and look down off the mountain at a far distant horizon.  Or even stand on a mountain in the middle of the map without seeing the edge of the terrain.  I don't know how best to blend the terrain into the skybox.

Yep.  That would be a great start.  Maybe a little lower and little smoother in the middle distance but I'd be pretty happy with that as is.   How did you do it?

It's just an HDR sky that I'd bought previously and I thought I could use it to show you how to do this. Just look up HDRI Mountains on google and you'll find similar things. You have to make a material and use the skybox shader that comes with Unity. Select Skybox, Panoramic, and put your hdr image into the texture input. I personally adjusted the color a bit on mine to make it look a bit more like Gaia terrain.

• 4 weeks later...

One neat trick is to create a terrain, and then use the Mesh Export feature under the advanced menu to export it as a low poly mesh. You can change the settings on the export to make them relatively low poly.

You then manually place them in the distance... and this gives a great sense of depth to your scene.

We use this technique in the video here: